Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Swapping Sky to Sky +, one aerial

This is a discussion on Swapping Sky to Sky +, one aerial within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi. I would be grateful if someone could give me clear answers to a few questions about Sky+ (not HD), ...

BillB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01438
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Swapping Sky to Sky +, one aerial

Hi. I would be grateful if someone could give me clear answers to a few questions about Sky+ (not HD), as I havenít managed to get the information from searching earlier posts.

We had Sky installed in our flat just over a year ago, with only one aerial connection as the flat is new and only has 3 concealed wiring connections for Freeview Sky and radio. We cannot get a second Sky aerial connection without a long surface run of cable in the flat, which we donít want if it can be avoided.

a. Do we own the Sky box, as more than a year has elapsed since we had our Sky TV agreement?
      b. Are we free then to dispose of the box and get a Sky+ one, from eBay or elsewhere?
      c. Using just the one aerial, can we just plug in the Sky+ box? What further actions need to be taken and is it a DIY job? I mean getting Sky+ working with the existing one aerial.
      d. We are happy to use the Sky+ box just for recording. The main use would be to program a number of recordings when we are on holiday. Any problems with that, and how far ahead can we set the recorder?
      e. We considered a Freeview PVR, but understand that there isnít one that could accept an input from Sky. Anyway, Sky+ would be a one box solution so seems more sensible.

Thanks, Bill.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Swapping Sky to Sky +, one aerial

a. Do we own the Sky box, as more than a year has elapsed since we had our Sky TV agreement?
      Yes - the Sky box is yours on installation.

b. Are we free then to dispose of the box and get a Sky+ one, from eBay or elsewhere?
      Yes

c. Using just the one aerial, can we just plug in the Sky+ box? What further actions need to be taken and is it a DIY job? I mean getting Sky+ working with the existing one aerial.
      Yes - However you would not be able to:

1) Watch one channel, whilst recording another (unless it was already recorded)
      2) Record 2 different programmes at the same time

d. We are happy to use the Sky+ box just for recording. The main use would be to program a number of recordings when we are on holiday. Any problems with that, and how far ahead can we set the recorder?
      You could only record one programme at any one time. How far ahead? No idea.

e. We considered a Freeview PVR, but understand that there isn’t one that could accept an input from Sky. Anyway, Sky+ would be a one box solution so seems more sensible.
      Agree.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

You can certainly record a Sky programme as you watch it, or view other sources ( terrestrial, Freeview, Sky recording ) however, setting up a programme to record when you are out of the house requires a bit of planning, and in order to avoid failed planned recordings, you should familiarise yourself with the 'dummy' recording method used by many people with only single inputs. A summary ( from DS ) is here. Basically, it means fooling the digibox into thinking that Input 2 is in use, and will force a recording onto Input 1, thus avoiding a failed recording. Try it and see if it works for you. Remember to use the 12-hour clock in the Manual Recording menu.

As both the Sky+ Planner and the Manual Recording facility only cover the next 7 days, any recordings beyond that can be set up either from your mobile, or online via Sky Remote Record, although these may fail, in the absence of a 'dummy' recording being in progress.

Having only one Input really does restrict your options, I'm afraid, but good luck anyway.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

Woodster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01442
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

You could get a Tivo. They can control your existing sky box or a sky+ box. Dunno where you'll get one from tho'

BillB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01438
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks very much NewsreadeR and Kenedin for your useful comments. I was hoping for a foolproof solution, as one of us likes simplicity, and using the dummy recording is a bit of a pain, especially if you are doing it remotely, which I may have to do if we do decide on Sky+.

I am also surprised if you are limited to 7 days ahead for programmed recordings, as on my VCR you can set a recording several weeks ahead.

I may have to find a route for a second aerial, and get my Sky man to give me a Sky+ box, £99 + £60 setup + £x for extra cabling.

Is the Sky man needed for just the one aerial conversion (assuming I can find a box) or is that DIY and free of cost?

Thanks again, Bill.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I may have to find a route for a second aerial, and get my Sky man to give me a Sky+ box, £99 + £60 setup + £x for extra cabling.
      If you buy the kit off Sky, and pay their install charge, they should put up a new dish and the dual feed from the LNB to the STB

You do know that you could get a Sky+HD box for less?

You can use a HD box without a HD TV and of course you would have more storage space.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

oldun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01480472536
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I thought sky always came via a dish and not an aerial.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oldun View Post
      I thought sky always came via a dish and not an aerial.
      It does but we all knew what he meant.

Sam Radford is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01439
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      It does but we all knew what he meant.
      I thought he meant TV aerial. I wondered what he was on about!

If he has a problem with his aerial, will he write "I have a problem with my LNB.."?

I think it was cruel of you not to correct him from the start.