Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Magic Eye Problem

This is a discussion on Sky Magic Eye Problem within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi folks, I have run a cable from the RF2 output of my Sky Plus box to a TV upstairs, ...

wifler is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Magic Eye Problem

Hi folks,

I have run a cable from the RF2 output of my Sky Plus box to a TV upstairs, and would like to control the box upstairs. I purchased a magic eye, and had no joy, and have since tried 2 more and still no joy. The problem is it just doesn't seem to work. The LED lights up, so it's getting power, but the sky plus remotes don't work.

To test the eye, I plugged it directly into the RF2 output on my Sky Plus box, and covered the front of the box and tried the remote with the eye, but that didn't work either.

I thought the first one was faulty but the other two I've tried don't work either.

I have also turned the box off for a few minutes and turned it back on to reset the power, but that doesn't work either. I have tried this a few times.

I'm running out of things to try, and was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem an managed to solve it?

2. Advertisement
      Woodster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01442
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Sky Magic Eye Problem

What make/model of sky+box do you have? Do you have any equipment to measure the voltage from RF2? Are you using good quality connectors and not those plastic crappy ones from B&Q?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Have you used a decent coax to run from the RF2? Also try bending the inner core a little bit before you put the coax plug on to make sure it is giving a good connection, I usually crinp the inner part of the plug with a pair of snips to ensure good contact (be careful not to snip it off though).

Is it a full run, no other connections off it etc?

Exchange:
      Thanks

As far as I know it's a Pace box. I've used a ready made coax cable with moulded plugs and I've used a made up cable with decent connectors. Both make the LED light up but I can't work the remotes. Also as I said, I've tried it directly in the Sky box and nothing works there. I have no other connections, just a straight run of cable. I don't have a power meter or anything either.

Sam Radford is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01439
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Download the instructions here:
      Problems with your TV Link?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the help but I'm still having problems, I'm stumped. The box is fine, it's getting power and everything, but I still can't get any of the magic eyes to work

Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

I had this problem once with my old Sky+ Pace digibox. Tried everything. In the end I switched off the RF Output Power Supply in the Installers Setup ( Services, 4, 0, 1, Select ), then switched off the digibox, unplugged it, and also unplugged the RF2 output coax cable. Digibox back on again, re-connect coax, re-enable RF Output power in the Installers Setup, and it started working again.

If this is the first time you've used the RF2 Outlet, it may be the box is faulty anyway
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),