Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky+ cabling

This is a discussion on Sky+ cabling within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I recently bought some white Sky+ cabling off eBay with the M to F connectors so I could extend my ...

mr2nut123 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky+ cabling

I recently bought some white Sky+ cabling off eBay with the M to F connectors so I could extend my wiring about 8metres extra around my living room. Since doing that, I can confirm that I have lost a small chunk of signal quality within the signal test page. Is this the case with any extender wiring with Sky, or is it rubbish quality cable?

I don't mind where the signal bar sits to be honest, but my recordings lately have some bad sound glitches and syncronization is a bit out then it comes back in line after a few seconds, but 99% of the time the video still has all the frames. When simply watching Sky, it never does this, ONLY with recordings.

Do you think this is the wire or the box?

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky+ cabling

Any extension to the cable can cause loss of signal but if it isonly affecting your recordings then this is unlikley to be the cause.

Chances are that the hard drive is playing up, go into the enineers menu and do a planner re-build, this will not delete any recording just tdy the drive up.

To get into the munu press services 4-0-1 select, ignore the screen until you have pressed the select button and press them quite quickly.

mr2nut123 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Sky+ cabling

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      Any extension to the cable can cause loss of signal but if it isonly affecting your recordings then this is unlikley to be the cause.

Chances are that the hard drive is playing up, go into the enineers menu and do a planner re-build, this will not delete any recording just tdy the drive up.

To get into the munu press services 4-0-1 select, ignore the screen until you have pressed the select button and press them quite quickly.
      I have done a planner rebuild as well as a full format of the box. It is still playing up a bit but now it is over 1 year old. Sky were just putting it off with daft 'unplugging, plugging it back in' rubbish and now it's out of warrenty. I'm going to call for another free box or Virgin here I come. They have Sky channels now anyway.