Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Hi everyone i need urgant help

This is a discussion on Hi everyone i need urgant help within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; hi all i just moved in to block of 4 flats with has a comumal sat dish i have only ...

magicmart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi everyone i need urgant help

hi all i just moved in to block of 4 flats with has a comumal sat dish i have only one feed in my flat but i need 2 for sky + i am on the firs floor and have accsess to my loft i when up there and saw that my down stars naghurs feed gos though my loft too i have asked my down stair nabghur if he has / uses sky and he was not sure and then said no my question is if i spit my nabghurs feed in the loft and run a cable to my living room would my sky + fully work? and would my naghbur still be able get sky down stairs if he ever wanted if in the futer? many thanks for your guys help in advance

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Hi everyone i need urgant help

If you split the feed, I would not feed it back through to your neighbour. If your neighbour wants Sky in the future, you would have to give them their feed back.

Maybe someone else can suggest another fix.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Welcome to the forums.

Bit of advice, dont put URGENT in your titles when it's just not urgent at all. Also make sure your title is descriptive of what you need help for.

This is a very common question and a bit of searching would give you the answer.

The short answer is 'NO', don;t split satelite cable feeds, it will go horribly wrong. You need a dedicated cable from the LNB, so you'll need to look at the dish and see if there are any spare feeds on the LNB and if so, get a new length of cable attached to it.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      Welcome to the forums.

Bit of advice, dont put URGENT in your titles when it's just not urgent at all. Also make sure your title is descriptive of what you need help for.

This is a very common question and a bit of searching would give you the answer.

The short answer is 'NO', don;t split satelite cable feeds, it will go horribly wrong. You need a dedicated cable from the LNB, so you'll need to look at the dish and see if there are any spare feeds on the LNB and if so, get a new length of cable attached to it.
      ok sorry about that mate what would happen if i was o spit it then ? as i only use it as the feed to recound sorry for spelling

Exchange:
      Thanks

If you split a cable then it doesn't work like splitting a TV aerial. The LNB (thing on the dish) switches between horizontal and vertical frequencies etc.

What happens is the sky box send a signal up the cable to the LNB telling it which frequency to switch to. So if you split the cable, then both feeds have to be on the same frequency on the transponder.
      Last edited by reddwarfcrew; 01-01-09 at 11:58 PM. Reason: corrected spelling, i must still be drunk!

Exchange:
      Thanks

right so am i right n saying it will be ok to split but if the block down stars had sky he only be able to whach what i recored?

Exchange:
      Thanks

In very simplistic terms, 'yes' you would be right (it's more complicated that that as there are multiple channels on the same frequency so you could possibly watch different channels, just not the full range). It's not worth doing as I'm sure the LNB would get confused. Don't forget the LNB would accept requests from both boxes (your and your neighours), so you could end up recording what THEY are watching...... in all reality, the skybox would get confused and you'd have failed recordings all over the place.

Exchange:
      Thanks

but if he ant got a sky box would spiting the cable be ok as it would only be in one box so to speak as at the end of his cable thee sould be no box

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well under those circumstance 'yes' it would be okay, but as NewsreadeR says, what if you neighbour gets a box (or just a freesat box), or what happens when you get new neighbours.