Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hi. im new on here and i need a little bit of help...

This is a discussion on hi. im new on here and i need a little bit of help... within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; regarding sky and free view. the story goes that i reentley got a new samsung tv for christmas which has ...

cor1.2sa is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

hi. im new on here and i need a little bit of help...

regarding sky and free view. the story goes that i reentley got a new samsung tv for christmas which has free view built into it. i also have a tv link running into my bedroom via the sky box and sky dish. my question is, is there any way of getting both the sky and freeview working togeather alongside each other, like if i didnt want to watch sky, i could swich to the digital free view and get the chanels. the only reason i ask is that i have to watch whatever is on the sky box, although i can change the channel, it changes it on the other tv aswell and visa versa, but with the free view i could watch whatever i wanted to watch and wouldent afect the tv downstairs.

i have done a diagram to explane our set up and how its all connected, its a bit crude but gets the info across

many thanks for your help with this problem

john

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: hi. im new on here and i need a little bit of help...

I'm assuming your new TV isn't in the bedroom. I think the easiest way to achieve Freeview and Sky in your bedroom is to buy a cheap Freeview box and attach that direct to your bedroom TV. That will give you independent Freeview in both locations but allow watching/changing Sky from either location.

Exchange:
      Thanks

hi mate, chears for the quick reply, the tv i have is in my bedroom and has a link to the sky digi box via a cable showen in orange in the diagram, as for buying another free view box, there is no need as the tv i have has the digital tv already on it, its just it wont pick up any free view chanels through the sky cable, im just realy wondering if there is any way round this as im going to have the same problem if i was to buy another free view box , sorry its a bit hard to explane

many thanks for your help
      john

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

As long as you have your aerial feeding into the Sky receiver downstairs (aerial in) and then RF1 to your new TV for freeview and RF2 to your bedroom TV it should boost both the Sky and aerial (freeview) signal upstairs.

I suspect you have the aerial directly into the TV downstairs and have the Sky connected via scart which is wrong and no aerial reception will be seen upstairs. Remember you will have to switch between analog and digital upstairs to get freeview )digital) and Sky via analog once it is wired correctly.

Exchange:
      Thanks

many thanks, i shall have a look at it all tommrow morning and set it up as you say. hopefully that should sort it.

many thanks again

john

Exchange:
      Thanks

hi , im still having no luck with this, i have tryed as you have surgested, the ariel in to the back of the sky box and not via the scart lead, the i had another cable from the rf-2 outlet in the back of the sky box into the tv downstairs which also has freeview into the ariel input, but had no luck. all i get is a message "check ariel input". the only thing i can think of is that our ariel is inside the roof space and has a very poor signal, like even on turestrial tv you struggle to get a decent picture, hence the reason for wanting to run it through the sky dish.

many thanks

john

Nigelh is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Hitchin
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV: and Multiroom
      Thanks

Freeview needs a very strong signal, if you struggle on analogue, you almost certainly need a roof ariel. You say that the TV downstairs has freeview, does this receive a signal? There is no problam with running Sky and Freeview alongside each other, I have several.

Thanks

Freeview and Sky are two different things.

Sky receives it's signal though the dish. Freeview is received through the TV aerial, you cannot get terrestial freeview through the Sky dish.

If you plug your TV aerial directly into the TV and scan for freeview channels what do you get? as stated in the post above, freeview requires a good signal and an aerial in the loft is unlikely to give this and it won't be a digital ready aerial either.

Whatever you get with the aerial plugged in downstairs on freeview is all you will get anywhere in the house as this is the best terrestial signal.

You may be forced to upgrade your aerial to a digital ready one on the chimmeny and connect this to your sky receiver and out via RF2 to everywhere else.

It can certainly be done as I have that setup now and receive both Sky and terrestial freeview on all TV's.

Exchange:
      Thanks

ok, chears for the quick and useful replys, i think the problem is what you are saying, the ariel is too week and is not digital ready therefor getting nothing through the free view. out of the 3 tv's we have only one gets a poor free view channels but only a few and the quality is resonable but not great, i think this is because it uses a booster pack to get the free view. my uncle has a digital ready ariel so we are going to to put that in the roof to replace the old one an see if it makes it better. just one other thing, because i have a tv link, just one coaxal cable running from the sky box downstairs, will i still be able to use the free view, or will i have to have another coaxal cable from the ariel to my tv?

thanks for all your help

john

Thanks

Run the new aerial into the Sky receiver aerial in, this will allow you to use RF1 for the new set and RF2 to the rest of the house, this will send Sky and the freeview signal down the same coax.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast