Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Which DVD recorder?

This is a discussion on Which DVD recorder? within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi Hopefully this is the right place to ask. I have recently upgraded to Sky+, and I love: Series link, ...

jlutkin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Which DVD recorder?

Hi

Hopefully this is the right place to ask.

I have recently upgraded to Sky+, and I love: Series link, pausing live TV etc. However, the hard disk is filling up rapidly. I intend to upgrade the disc to 500gb in the very near future. I also intend to buy a DVD recorder, to be able to permanently archive some of my recordings.

I need your help with the DVD recorder:

1. Is it possible to move any recording on the sky+ to a DVD recorder?
      Is anything protected? I'm new to all this.... .

2. Which DVD recorder should I get?
      I read a review of the Sony HXD995, and it slated it.
      From Amazon
      "This is truly a great DVD recorder (the best). The problem I have is that I have cable.If you have cable or sky, you watch it all the time. This is not suitable if you have cable or sky. If you want to record from your virgin(ntl) box you have to watch that channel! Worst than that, if records all the things you do, like turn up the volume will show up on screen when you play back."
      Are there any particular DVD recorders that people recommend or advise to stay clear of? I'm only realy interested in archiving.

Thanks in advance for reading, and for any answers or suggestions

Jason

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Which DVD recorder?

afaik You would have to record via the scart socket from the Sky box to the DVD recorder in real time.

Someone else can confirm?
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Which DVD recorder?

Yes, that's exactly right. It effectively copies the recording to the DVD recorder.

As to which DVD recorder, how long is a piece of string? There is a huge range, from those that record only to DVDs to those with twin digital decoders and hard drives of 250 MB or more which you can use to record from TV also. Some also have DivX decoders for compressed movies and have connectors for USB and digital cameras.

I would recommend buying one that can read and write to DVD RAM because the disks can be edited and reused easily. You can also record and view at the same time easily with DVD RAM.

It may make sense to have the same make of TV and DVD recorder if the TV is fairly new as then you can use the same remote control for many of the functions.

Regards,

Felix