Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

*** cheeky question re HD upgrade ***

This is a discussion on *** cheeky question re HD upgrade *** within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; at present i have sky+ and a small second multi-room box. i would like to upgrade to hd but.......... would ...

tonygold is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: gants hill
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

*** cheeky question re HD upgrade ***

at present i have sky+ and a small second multi-room box. i would like to upgrade to hd but.......... would sky install my present sky+ box where the multi-room box is, and if they do, will i no longer be able to use the small box anymore?
      reason for asking is when i go out to spain i take my multi-room box with me (yes, i know i shouldn't but paying 67 a month to sky i feel entitled to use it when away for a few weeks a year)!!
      would this still be possible as i would not want to cart the large sky+ box around in my hand luggage. could my viewing card still be used in the small box somehow??
      many thanks for any info you can give me.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: *** cheeky question re HD upgrade ***

They will use the existing card in the HD box so you will loose the card for the standard receiver.

Even if they didn't, you would have to pair the card to the receiver everytime you went away and then pair it back to the Sky+ when you got home, although Sky will do this, they will get a little suspicious if it is happening that often.

I think you are stuck with carrying the Sky+ box around with you.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      They will use the existing card in the HD box so you will loose the card for the standard receiver.

Even if they didn't, you would have to pair the card to the receiver everytime you went away and then pair it back to the Sky+ when you got home, although Sky will do this, they will get a little suspicious if it is happening that often.

I think you are stuck with carrying the Sky+ box around with you.
      or just don't get them to install the sky+ box in place of the multi-room box (which does seem a bit of a pity, but i want to be able to use the small box away from home??

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

Why do you feel 'entitled' to take your Sky with you on holiday. Because you pay a high premium?

Thousands of people pay the same as you, and more, but don't take a box away with them.

Robbie Williams (yes, the singer) thought he could get away with doing that. Sky found out, and they cut of his subscription and banned him from having Sky again.

Not meaning to pick a fight or anything, but your Sky Contract doesn't say 'dont take your box on holiday, unless you pay over a certain amount'

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by indefatigable View Post
      Why do you feel 'entitled' to take your Sky with you on holiday. Because you pay a high premium?

Thousands of people pay the same as you, and more, but don't take a box away with them.

Robbie Williams (yes, the singer) thought he could get away with doing that. Sky found out, and they cut of his subscription and banned him from having Sky again.

Not meaning to pick a fight or anything, but your Sky Contract doesn't say 'dont take your box on holiday, unless you pay over a certain amount'
      i'll tell u why i feel entitled to.
      i pay sky for 52 weeks of the year to receive their broadcasts, whether i am in uk or abroad, it matters not a jot to sky.
      why have u got such a beef about it, it's not depriving you of anything.
      and plenty do it. at least i'm paying full price for the service unlike many abroad who subscribe to 'illegal' rebroadcasters at far reduced prices.
      get a life.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I'm sure Robbie can get a proxy to subscribe on his behalf When on holiday in Portugal just about every bar had Sky Sports showing, some even in HD
      Last edited by Brian69; 03-12-08 at 07:09 PM.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Thanks

You could always have two multiroom subscriptions, not the cheapest but that would allow you to keep the little box paired to a card.

Remember though that you will not be able to leave it abroad, it has to be connected to the same phone line as the rest to dial out. I don't think it matters if it misses the odd one (when you are away).

To be fair to Sky, it's not their fault that it is not allowed to be used outside the UK, it's all down to copyright. You did sign up for the package knowing the limitations so it's not worth getting shirty about it, keep your head down and look the other way

dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

smithy 99
      i know the contract says it must be plugged in but tbh the guy who installed it plugged it in for the start up then unplugged it himself [was told if sky ask u why it aint plugged in tell them it is and ask them why their hd box isnt talking to them ,they will then need to arrange a visit [which would cost them money so they dont do it an

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tonygold View Post
      i'll tell u why i feel entitled to.
      i pay sky for 52 weeks of the year to receive their broadcasts, whether i am in uk or abroad, it matters not a jot to sky.
      Do you also refuse to pay your council tax whilst away as your bin is not being emptied ?
      The reason as mentioned elsewhere is copyright and you agreed to this when you subscribed to the service.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dtr44 View Post
      smithy 99
      i know the contract says it must be plugged in but tbh the guy who installed it plugged it in for the start up then unplugged it himself [was told if sky ask u why it aint plugged in tell them it is and ask them why their hd box isnt talking to them ,they will then need to arrange a visit [which would cost them money so they dont do it an

If you have a Muilt-room subscription and you do not have both boxes connected to the phone line, Sky will warn you about this, but they won't get up-set, they will just bill you for the full price for however many cards you have

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast