Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

*** cheeky question re HD upgrade ***

This is a discussion on *** cheeky question re HD upgrade *** within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Originally Posted by dholdi Do you also refuse to pay your council tax whilst away as your bin is not ...

tonygold is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: gants hill
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: *** cheeky question re HD upgrade ***

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      Do you also refuse to pay your council tax whilst away as your bin is not being emptied ?
      The reason as mentioned elsewhere is copyright and you agreed to this when you subscribed to the service.
      no i don't refuse to pay my council tax, thats a ridiculous analogy, all i'm saying is if i pay for something i feel entitled to use it IF i can. don't know why people get all sanctimonious about this issue. it's hardly the crime of the century is it??

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

If you get a Multiroom subscription and then move that box, it would save all the hassle of ringing Sky to pair the card with the box.

Technically on Multiroom you should have the box plugged into a phone line, and if Sky suss that it ain't in a phone line then they may write to you. Equally, if Sky suss you are taking the box out of the UK, they could act on that as well.

People offer different opinions, on how they interpret things, and are just as equal to pass good or indifferent comments. Its wrong what you want to do, does it bother me? No - If that's what you want to do then fine go ahead. It doesn't make it right to do it though. But there again 100s already do what you want to do anyway.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tonygold View Post
      no i don't refuse to pay my council tax, thats a ridiculous analogy, all i'm saying is if i pay for something i feel entitled to use it IF i can. don't know why people get all sanctimonious about this issue. it's hardly the crime of the century is it??
      its not the crime of the century, no, but it is a crime.

and even though there are worse crimes out there, copyright theft is a serious one. Cos thats what this is, copyright theft. Your taking content that is only legally allowed to be broadcast in the UK at that time, and viewing it in an area that isn't.

I realise the satellite covers most of europe, that can't be helped due to the nature of satellite transmission, but to decode the signal in another country is a pretty big crime, and can be taken very seriously.

and your arguement that plenty of folk do it doesn't stand because for every person who does it, there will be 100s that dont, and they will pay the same or more than you do. So what makes the people that do it any more entitled than the ones that don't.

Like i said before, not starting an argument, just wanting to know why you feel entitled to break your contract when so many others don't.

tonygold is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: gants hill
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

[QUOTE=indefatigable;181421]its not the crime of the century, no, but it is a crime. QUOTE]

just a minor correction. it is NOT a crime. it may contavene terms and conditions but it is not against any enforcable law in this or other lands.
      you never paid for work cash in hanfd to avoid vat???
      now that IS a crime. tut tut.

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

[QUOTE=tonygold;181511]
      Quote Originally Posted by indefatigable View Post
      its not the crime of the century, no, but it is a crime. QUOTE]

just a minor correction. it is NOT a crime. it may contavene terms and conditions but it is not against any enforcable law in this or other lands.
      you never paid for work cash in hanfd to avoid vat???
      now that IS a crime. tut tut.
      actually it is a crime. you cannot view encrypted channels in a country which doesn't have the licence to view them. That is what the Sky Box does, decrypt encrypted channels.

All channels except Free-to-air channels are encrypted.

Its also enforceable under copyright law, as maybe most of europe don't receive the same content at the same time as the UK. Its like downloading a TV show from America 3 weeks before its on TV in the UK, thats illegal. Just because you aren't downloading a show only shown in the UK, doesn't mean that watching it in a non-licenced country is any less illegal

And no, i personally havent paid, or been paid, cash in hand for any work. And i wouldn't cos you wouldn't have any comeback if you were screwed on the work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12