Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sky Copy Protection

This is a discussion on Sky Copy Protection within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Originally Posted by Benny Essjay , I do not know if links are allowed here on this , but if ...

essjay is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: SkyMAx
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Sky Copy Protection

Quote Originally Posted by Benny View Post
      Essjay , I do not know if links are allowed here on this , but if you google : Sonel scart , you might find what you are looking for . I am not going down this route thou , I'm cancelling . My reasons being I have a huge ( hundreds and hundreds) stack of DVD RW's I keep meaning to watch and free up but the stack keeps getting bigger . This is my chance to start watching them. It wouldn't have taken much of a reason to cancel sports and movies channels anyway , but when they weigh in with a heavyweight provocation like this, the choice is more than an easy one for me to get rid of the lot.

But , you know, in this age of the credit crunch and less disposable income .. a company like sky with their luxury goods such as movie channels and the like would , i've have thought, not made any drastic moves to lose customers that perhaps would have been on the edge of deciding wether to keep these channels or not anyway for other more pressing bills and outgoings . So it is a little surprising if indeed this is something they are doing by choice rather than some error or glitch in their system . But they have not notified any forums like this one or digital spy that this is the case and are working on a solution , so we can only assume it is copy protection by intent .

Besides , solidarity is the way to defeat this . They try it on and we do not buy their product . See how far they go implementing this across the uk when they lose a substantial number of their customers wherever they try it.

Why should we spend money on these gadgets to let us copy when that was the understanding we had when we agreed to purchase these services that that facilty , as shown in the sky + handbook even , was demonstrated as being part of the service as undertook as part of the contractual obligation as agreed by both sides . If they renege and lessen the value of the package as understood by the signee at that time, why then should the signee then proceed to even further financial outlays to achieve the pre agreed designated service in the form of buying special scart leads that might not even work. I'm not going to do it . I will save the 50 a month and buy more beer . There .
      Thanks for all that Benny,

I too pay sky for max broadband, phone & tv - it's probably the best value out there. BUT I'm not happy if Sky try to take advantage.
      First, I'm going to formally complain in writing - so that Mr Murdoch can see what's going on - if he doesn't know already. I've tried emailing from the Sky website - but these keep being rejected. In some ways you can't beat snailmail - perhaps everyone should write.
      If this gets nowhere, then I will consider leaving. Unfortunately, we don't have cable here and we would loose some of our favourite programmes.

Interestingly, the Sky website still features the copying facility on Sky+ so that you can free up space on the HDD. I do wonder whether the current problem is just a glitch - I can't believe any Sky customer would be happy to know that they can't save and have to delete favourite programmes when their hard drive is full.
      ATB
      sj

2. Advertisement
      essjay is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: SkyMAx
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Just to add a little more info:-
      Before I wrote, I decided to call Sky - I've just spoken to one of their technicians about the problem.
      He was very helpful and acknowledged that there have been several recent complaints about this issue and it's not deliberate - normal TV channels should not be encrypted and the problem appears to be theirs.
      They took details of my Sky+ box and DVD recorder and said that they will try and fix it in the next few days.
      I await this with interest.
      sj

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I don't think it is connected to location, more the make of recorder being used. Sony recorders also seem to be having problems. I have not seen any reports of LiteOns being effected, but maybe I am just lucky.

Sky technicians, at least, seem to have acknowledged there is a problem. Whether this is something that has been applied without informing the 'minions', is at the moment, anybody's guess.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Digital rights are an absolute nightmare and in years to come we shall see more and more issues pop up.

The biggest one to date is that if you buy a CD you own that CD but buy a digital download and you don't own anything.

Xbox 360 owners have found out if you get your box replaced (which many of them haved) all your downloaded material can only be accessed when online on the replacement box.

In the US Fox, Disney, Sony etc have been looking at ways to incorporte more and more DRM to their programs and films.

It wouldn't surprise me if Sky has been forced to turn on DRM for certain shows to keep certain suppliers happy (Disney for one, they make Microsoft look like Napster)
      and it seems that certain DVD machines pick this up Sonybeing one, (again another big DRM pusher).

A question, if you got a scart splitter device which splits a single scart feed into 2 and put that in just beofre your TV can you record with your DVD recorder still if you just play back the show?
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Benny is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Edgware
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

I don't know that it is a dvd hdd issue really . If on a certain day we have people with various models and manufacturers of DVD HDD all report a similar problem, then it must originate from the sky broadcast or box . The fact that some dvd hdd's still work just means that those models may have some kind of picture enhancement feature or something that blocks/ignores the copy protection signal , but does not mean that that protection signal isn't being sent .

So, it isnt a case of some DVD's going 'wrong' or a 'problem' with certain manufacturers (The panasonics etc ) , but some DVD's ( Liteon's) aren't reacting the way they should do or as intended and do not enact the copy protection sequence and stop the recording. So, even thou these ones (Liteon etc) seem to be working .. they are the models that are 'at fault' so to speak. Seems to me anyway .

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I am not suggesting that the problem is with your recorder, only that it only appears to effect certain makes. Whether this is a weakness or a strength of any particular recorder, I don't know, it depends on how you look at it. I am not even sure that it is a broadcast fault or whether it is down to the particular receivers firmware. It could be that it is the Samsung Sky+HD box which is unaffected, I don't know.

Sky technicians have stated that the fault is with Sky, I don't think anyone is saying it isn't. Until such time as an official statement is issued we will not know where the problem lies. If Sky are sneaking this in as a new policy, then I think they are shooting themselves in the foot, especially as they say the facility is available in their latest Sky+HD user manual.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Tassaido is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I have recently re set up my Sky+ box to my Sony DVD recorder. The first programme I tried (Waking the Dead from BBC) no issues with. Then I tried Harry Potter from Sky Premiere and a message "this picture cannot be recorded" appeared. It records 95% of the picture but every now and then a blank grey screen appears when that message comes up. I spoke to Sky and the person I spoke to said that certain programmes were protected which was why you were having these problems. She then said there is a way around it but I would have to find out for myself! Great

I assume her way around it is using one of those scart cables which counters the macrovision encryption. There have been other threads on other forums which talk about using the TV scart connection on the Sky to your DVD rather than the VCR Scart connection which is what I use but as yet have not tried that

Musicmonkey1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Peacehaven
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

This is really interesting because I have been trying to copy 24 Redemption to my LG DVD/Hard Drive recorder. It records the 1st hour of the two hour program and then just stops. I tried it 3 times and it always stopped in pretty much the same place. Other programs record OK so it's not the recorder. I got round it in the end by recording the program in two chunks and then just spliced them together. 24 Redemption is just the kind of program you might expect Sky to copy protect.

I'm only copying the programs to free up space on my sky+ box. If sky would let me have the other 80gb they hold back for anytime (which I've switched off) I wouldn't need to! By the way does anyone else believe that anytime will shorten the working life of the Sky+ box? All that extra work for the hard drive on programs we don't want to watch anyway?

Sam Radford is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01439
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes, Hard Drives have a finite life.

UseLess is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Demon
      Sky TV: Sky+HD & Sky+
      Thanks

Greetings,

I am also having issues with this. I recorded 24 Redemption and when I tried to put in onto my Samsung DVD-HR755 I got 57 minutes then it stopped. So I thought I'd watch it while copying and at 57 minutes I got a message informing me that I couldn't copy protected movies and the DVD-HR755 then shutdown.

Like Benny I am also seriously thinking of cancelling my subscription as I record most things that I want to watch, easier to skip the ads, and also put some stuff on the recorder when HDD space on the +box is low. But as this may no longer be possible then I have to ask is it worth it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast