Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Spare Sky Box for Freeview, need some cable/advice

This is a discussion on Spare Sky Box for Freeview, need some cable/advice within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Just upgraded to Sky+ and now have a spare (ordinary) Sky box that I'm looking to use for Freeview/Freesat. Have ...

johnoverall is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Southend
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Spare Sky Box for Freeview, need some cable/advice

Just upgraded to Sky+ and now have a spare (ordinary) Sky box that I'm looking to use for Freeview/Freesat. Have a cable running from the dish into a signal booster into the loft, but need around 15m or so of cable to get from there to the bedroom. Can anyone suggest where to get suitable cable, made-up to plug in and go? Relatively cheaply.

This is to replace a perfectly fine Digilogic freeview box, but the remote has packed up as the batteries leaked (unless anyone also knows where to get a remote for this, which isn't the cost of another box, or a compatible)?

Thanks for any help in advance!

2. Advertisement
      nodrog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wskiw
      Router: sky hub SR102
      Sky TV: SKY+ HD 1tb box
      Thanks

Re: Spare Sky Box for Freeview, need some cable/advice

b&q and homebase sell satellite cable packs some made up with f connectors

Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You cannot split/amplify the feed from your dish's LNB so I suspect the cable that you have identified as running from your dish to a "Signal Booster" almost certainly isn't the sat feed.

If you need a new cable, try satcure Coaxial satellite digital fully-screened cable

Personally I would avoid a pre made up cable as you can pretty much guarantee it won't be exactly the right length. Buy some cable and a couple of "F" connectors but make sure that you waterproof the connection at the LNB end. All you need is to screw the F connectors onto a suitably stripped length of WF100 cable. The only tools you need are a pair of pliers and a knife.
      Last edited by Ratcliffes; 04-11-08 at 12:08 AM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You're right, I am mistaken. The Sky cable doesn't go to the booster at all.

When I moved in here, the install was inherited from the previous occupant, and I didn't give it a glance until we finally had Sky installed after a few years of having lived here. I'm not even going to pretend I understand it. We even had the roof aerial upgraded prior to getting Sky and that's currently the only thing plugged into the loft booster, along with one TV-out that provides terrestrial TV to the main bedroom.

In terms of Sky it looks like there are four feeds from my dish, three of which are used. One for living room, one for a bedroom (not currently in use in the room), one for Sky+.

The loft is a bit of a mess in terms of cables, so it's difficult to track what goes where. There's an original aerial cable dangling from a hole in the roofing felt (the brown lead at the top of the below pic) and a number of leads that originally terminated in the booster but have been removed that look to be part of the Sky setup (not pictured).

I have four cables that disappear into a wall from the back of the Sky+ box: two for dish input, one for aerial in and one for RF-out. Disregarding the Sky + lead that goes a different route, the original three cables go into and then out of the garage, up the side of the house and into the loft and go their seperate ways, I'm assuming that one of these terminates in the labgear box pictured above, which I suppose is a way of routing the Sky feed around the house, while one makes its way to the dish to make the Sky connection for the living room. But what of the third? The other cables I have in the loft, well I assume one is the other end of the RF lead for the bedroom Sky that gets its feed from the labgear, but like I say it all gets a bit confusing as nothing is labelled up and most of the cable runs are obscured by the usual sentimental stuff we keep in the loft.

I guess the best bet would be to extend the Sky feed from the bedroom into our own, but it would be nice to know what all these loft cables do!

Sam Radford is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01439
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You should make a wiring diagram and label everything.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yeah, started to. In the meantime have rerouted upstairs Sky feed into bedroom. Works fine. Just bought a 20 Freesat card from Sky.

Sam Radford is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01439
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnoverall View Post
      I'm not even going to pretend I understand it
      Read "Understanding Sky Digital" (free) eBook.
      Free and not free eBooks