Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Is this On-line Sky+ Offer a scam?

This is a discussion on Is this On-line Sky+ Offer a scam? within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I have spent most of last week trying to get the 99 + 60 + 15 Credit offer on Sky+. ...

Godzilla is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke (THBZ)
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Humax FreesatHD
      Thanks

Is this On-line Sky+ Offer a scam?

I have spent most of last week trying to get the 99 + 60 + 15 Credit offer on Sky+. I have tried online at all times of day and night. I tried Sky Active via the interactive TV. I have called the various "help" lines several times only to be put on hold for up to 30 minutes before being cut off.

(Edit - The on-line order stalls at the point when I click on "Checkout" - I get an error screen saying "Unfortunately it is currently not possible to continue with your order" and suggesting I ring 08442 411 233)

Eventually I got through on the 08442 411 333 number to a friendly but unhelpful gentleman who came up with all the suggestions I had already tried but ultimately refused to let me have the offer at the online price - said it would be 150 + 60 and no 15 credit. He did say if I was in a Digital Switchover region (Scottish Borders or Wales) I could have a really special price of 135 total. This didn't help as I am in Hampshire.

When I suggested that this whole thing might be a scam he chuckled and said "Sky are a bit tricky aren't they?"

I have also, over the last week, been trying to contact them by email/messages left on their website only to be sent error messages 4 hours later saying their mail server would not accept the email.

Just as an experiment, I then tried following the online ordering route, but selecting Sky+HD instead of Sky+ and - surprise surprise, it allowed me through to the point where I could select an installation date, so clearly there is no technical problem with their website if you are prepared to pay full price for something - they just block off the special offer price. I don't need/want HD, so this didn't help solve my problem.

Like others, I am reluctant to cancel SKY and go the independent Freesat route because of all the benefits of SKY (including the good value Broadband), but it is extremely frustrating whenever I have to deal with their Customer Services.

I am at a loss what to try next. I do actually want Sky+ but I am reluctant to pay full price when they are still widely advertising the On-line discount offer (including on this site - see left!!
      Last edited by Godzilla; 24-09-08 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Clarify the issue

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Is this On-line Sky+ Offer a scam?

You may be interested in this deal? I have just spotted on Sky's website.

Sky User - Unofficial Help and Support for Sky Broadband and everything Sky! - Sky+ HD Box is now Half Price
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks

Thanks, but I really don't need HD (and cannot afford the 10 a month extra). I just want to upgrade to Sky+

I'm even starting to think I should pay the full price to stop getting stressed over this.

Cheers

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Try this?

If you're already with Sky, there are two ways to upgrade to your chosen combination. You can visit the online Sky Shop by clicking on the link below, or call us on 08442 410 564 (lines open 8.30am-11pm).
      Maybe they could show you some mercy?
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks

Thanks, Newsreader, for all your help. I finally decided to give up the unequal struggle and to take up the half price HD offer you pointed me at. On balance, I worked out it was almost as cheap over a year as the basic Sky+, and I can always try to cancel the HD Mix after the minimum 12 months and keep the better box to use for Standard Sky+. I might be wrong about that, but hey - life's too short to worry about such stuff.

So, the net result is that with any luck my new HD installation will happen on Sunday.

Thanks again for this brilliant forum - it serves two main purposes for me - it provides a VERY high standard of information, expertise and support in all aspects of Sky - and it provides an excellent platform for venting frustration.

Cheers

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Thanks again for this brilliant forum - it serves two main purposes for me - it provides a VERY high standard of information, expertise and support in all aspects of Sky - and it provides an excellent platform for venting frustration.
      Thanks for the compliments, glad you got sorted out All the content is from the members, as for the expertise, again down to the members.

Enjoy it and remember to read my guide, if you ever want more storage space, (and you get a Pace box)

eaglesfan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

It's very hard dealing with Sky sometimes, I just keep on trying to contact them until it works. Can take a while.
      -Danny Ross