Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

setup problems

This is a discussion on setup problems within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hello everyone.........new today and I have a problem; can you help please? For several years I have had Sky + ...

tuff stuff is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

setup problems

Hello everyone.........new today and I have a problem; can you help please?

For several years I have had Sky + and a multiroom subscription. All along I have had 2 sky+ boxes and one standard sky box.
      **Sky + in room 1
      **Sky + in room 2
      **Sky standard box room 3
      Ten days ago, through sky I upgraded my sky + box to HD in room 1. The sky engineer came, unplugged the + box, installed the HD box and left everything in working order.An opportunity to replace my standard box in room 3 with the just replaced + box I thought. So I had an engineer in to replace the single co-ax from the standard box with twin + cable, a five meter run which took ten minutes.I replaced the standard box with the + box and inserted the viewing card. Message on screen said card did not match the box so I rang Sky as instructed. I explained what had occured and sky staff were very helpful. we talked thru box serial Nos plus viewing card Nos. and sure enough my relocated + box in room 3 worked perfectly. "great" I thought and sat down for a well earned cuppa'. An hour later I tried using the + box in room 2 and on screen message says phone sky to upgrade sky + subscription. Oh pooo!..... so I duly phoned went thru the same procedure box serial No. etc. and sure enough as if by magic I was back in business again. HOWEVER, you guessed it now room 3 tells me to phone sky to upgrade my subscription. To cut an already long and boring saga short before you glaze over and move on. I've so far made six call to sky technical and each time gone thru the same procedure and each time the + box I'm in front of is left working and the + box in the other room is 'Naff again.
      Every time I speak with sky technical i'm reassured everything should be fine now sir, your subscription is correct, you have the required viewing cards and we've activated them all...............................SOMETHING ..SOMEWHERE ISN'T RIGHT and I don't have a clue whats going on. Are the sky techinical' missing something and not switching something they should. I'm at the stage where I'm wondering if I should have bothered going HD at all, life was so much simpler when it all worked.
      Any thoughts on how to cure this problem you may have would be gratefully
      received
      Best wishes
      tuff stuff

2. Advertisement
      Sam Radford is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01439
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: setup problems

Sky's computer system gets horribly confused if you mix up the cards.

The SkyHD box should have replaced the standard Digibox and used its card. That would have left the Sky+ boxes unaffected. But you chose to replace a Sky+ box with SkyHD. So the SkyHD box now has the Sky+1 box's card. Now you want to replace your standard Digibox with the Sky+1 so you must put its card in the Sky+1 box and get it "paired" to that.

Now it may be that you haven't done it this way, in which case you've mixed up the cards. But even if you did do it this way, the computer can still get screwed with two Sky+ boxes in one house.

I suggest you get them to escalate the problem and get an engineer round to your house and don't let him leave till he sorts it. (I mean a real engineer, not an installer. There's nothing to install, you just need one with a brain.)

tuff stuff is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: setup problems

Hi Sam
      Thanks for your reply.
      Unfortunately the sky+ box chose itself for replacemt with HD as its in the lounge and the standard box in one of the kid's bedrooms. your comment is helpful because I hadn't considered it may be Sky's computer getting confused, thats usually reserved for me'. I was starting to wonder whether I was being given the runaround, if you know what I mean.I will get back in touch with Sky as you suggest and try to get them to escalate my problem.
      Once again, many thanks
      tuff stuff