Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Instructing on where the dish goes

This is a discussion on Instructing on where the dish goes within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Ok, so I have just moved into my new house and it does have a dish. Its doesnt have a ...

leaskovski is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Instructing on where the dish goes

Ok, so I have just moved into my new house and it does have a dish. Its doesnt have a BT line either at the moment! GRRR! So thats gonna cost me 125 just to get that sorted.

If i decide to take my sky account to the new place, can I instruct the engineer where to put the dish. I dont want the thing on the front of my gaff, I want it on the arial pole at the back of the house. The only thing is, that they will have to run the cable through the loft as its a mid terraced.

Are they likely to tell me where to go?

Otherwise Im gonna have to go virgin!

2. Advertisement
      nodrog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wskiw
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: sky hub SR102
      Sky TV: SKY+ HD 1tb box
      Thanks

Re: Instructing on where the dish goes

most engineers/installers will listen to you as long as they are sky employed and not sub-contrctors

may not run cable through loft but probably take the throw the cable over the top route, not advisable as cable moves in the wind rub and get internal wires bared

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Cannot see them going thru the loft, they will take it over the roof which isn't a problem as long as they tie it in a few places to stop it moving.

Dishes on poles have a tendency to wave about in wind and can cause more issues with alignment and picture breakup than those fitted directly on their brackets. You will need to keep it as low as possible to avoid it wagging around like a dogs tail.

Sam Radford is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01439
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Either run the cable yourself or get an independent installer to do it for you. Chucking a cable over the roof is NOT recommended because abrasion will cut through the insulation and let water in, unless the installer spends a great deal of time climbing the tiles and securing it properly (very few will do this and it will cost you heavily if they do).

Why not make life simpler and just paint the existing dish?

Martin T is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Mannofield
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I live in a terraced house and was worried that Sky would just want to fling the cable over the roof.

When the Sky employed installer arrived he was quite happy to lift the hatch and go under the floor boards to run the cable (satellite and phone). Obviously if your house is built on solid concrete foundation that scuppers that idea.

I was under the floor last week running some RF cable and it really wasn't that bad (apart from the dust, 2 feet gap and crawling commando style over a pile of rubble!)