Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Hoping for help with a kinda legal question re: Sky TV

This is a discussion on Hoping for help with a kinda legal question re: Sky TV within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Newbie here so I'm hoping I'm not making any waves asking this kind of question. My sister and her hubby ...

bladedog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hoping for help with a kinda legal question re: Sky TV

Newbie here so I'm hoping I'm not making any waves asking this kind of question.

My sister and her hubby are separated and its not looking good for the future. Amongst the million and one problems they have to overcome this is a small consideration but it's reared its head and I thought someone here might know.

They have Sky TV (normal not + or HD) with phone & broadband. He has moved out and taken the Sky box with him (new house has a dish already). He's paying for the 3-part package while using the TV at his new house and leaving the phone and broadband running at the family home.

Question is this. My sister wants to get Sky TV back up and running at the family home, but I'm guessing the hubby is breaking some kind rules by taking the Sky box to another location so her applying for Sky TV in her name at the same address is going to cause some problems.

Anyone have any experience of this? Can she do anything or does she have to get the current contract cancelled and start again (unlikely he is willing to do that, I believe the 3-part package costs him less than just TV did on its own before).

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Hoping for help with a kinda legal question re: Sky TV

The only issue Sky would have at this point is to do with the Sky box calling home, how long have they had the box and is it on the tel line at the property it is currently at?
      The old account at that address needs to be closed if it's in his name, if not then she just needs to ring up Sky and ask for a new box/ card pairing.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It is hard to see how he could transfer the TV to a new address without also transferring the phone and broadband. You need a TV account to get the last two, so if there is no longer an account at that address they will probably be cut off. If he has not transferred the TV, but opened a new account, then all you need is a box to reconnect. All he would have done then is steal the box, which he would not need with a new account.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sounds like he did a runner to someone who already had sky installed and decided to take the newer box with him.

Sam Radford is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01439
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

She should write to Sky, explaining the problem briefly and concisely, and telling them what she wants.

bladedog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for all the advice.

Yeah basically he moved into a new house where there was already a dish and just hooked up the box. As such there is no sky box or viewing card at the recorded address, but since they've told no-one the broadband and phone continues.

They've had Sky for donkee's years, but they've only been on the 3-in-1 deal for about 6 months. He's still paying the bill for all 3 bits, which is fair enough, but she wants Sky back in the family home to help keep the kids amused.

I think she needs to talk to Sky and see what gives.

Thanks again.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If he has not transferred the contract he will only be getting the basic free programs.

What might be worth considering is trying for a cheap upgrade to Sky+. Phone Sky and ask what deals are available.

Alternately you could buy a box complete with card quite cheaply on EBAY The card would have to be set up at her address, but this can be done for free by phone.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.