Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky + / Sky HD cabling queries

This is a discussion on Sky + / Sky HD cabling queries within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi all, I'm not sure if this is in the exact right forum, but I'm trying to establish the way ...

jordee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky + / Sky HD cabling queries

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is in the exact right forum, but I'm trying to establish the way forward for a couple of TV Cabling issues I have.

I recently extended my house and have moved my main TV into the extension, this position is around 20m away from where it used to live, i.e it has moved from the front of the house to the back.

Now heres the problem, the sky box is wired in at the front of the house. Theres a reasonable amount of slack on cable between the dish and the box, but nowhere near enough to move the box next to my TV.

I have run some coax to main TV in the short term, but (and not sure why) the signal is poor and my magic eye doesnt work (no voltage), despite working fine on other (shorter) lengths of coax.

Regardless this wouldnt have been a long term fix anyway, as I'd like to prepare for the future by incorporating the ability to cope with HD etc. (Currently running vanilla SKY+). And would also like to have a second TV sited in the original location (front of the house) as the Main TV. For reference this room is now a bedroom.

The possible solutions thus far considered are:

1.) Leave sky box where it is, run a few length of cat5 between the two sites, short term purchase a "scart over cat5" type connector, long term upgrade to a "HDMI over cat5" type connector. (SKY HD upgrade wont be for many months yet) And slave the Secondary TV off the scart or similar.
      Problems: Reviews mixed about Bluedelta etc.

2.) Buy a length of "Sky" cable (Webro WF100 twin foam??) rewire existing installed box into main room, and worry about secondary TV later.
      Problems: Wont be able to chase wires etc. later, would be much more preferable to have a solution in place early doors, despite its lack of use initially.

3.) A wireless solution
      Problems: Dont know much about this avenue.

I am a technician who has made network cables and stuff before, and a qualified electrician, so I'm fairly confident I could do any rudimentary wiring work.

Any help or guidance or things I've missed would be happily taken on board.

Cheers

Jordee

2. Advertisement
      Sam Radford is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01439
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky + / Sky HD cabling queries

WF100 twin from the LNB is really the only sensible option. Put the Digibox close to the TV. Anything else is an expensive compromise.

skypaulusplus Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Sky + / Sky HD cabling queries

run the twin coax from the lnb round to the NEW location and another twin to the old location. and preferably install 2 twin plug sockets(4 alltogether) , a telephone point , tv/fm point and some cable tidy at each corner