Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Freezing channels and very blocky - stuttery

This is a discussion on Freezing channels and very blocky - stuttery within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi all I have had a problem with Sky now for quite sometime where just specific channels keep freezing, becoming ...

djbobeb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Arrowebrook
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Freezing channels and very blocky - stuttery

Hi all

I have had a problem with Sky now for quite sometime where just specific channels keep freezing, becoming very pixely and stuttery, etc. This issue happens mostly with some of the premier movie channels, history channel, and sky one......but all other channels though seem to be fine.

Sky have said they want to charge me to come and check the issue and also they they suggest I buy a new sky box (I have got the basic amstrad box that I was given when I first joined about 3 and a half years ago.

Any ideas how to resolve it and whether it is the box itself which they seem to be telling me it is?

I don't want to spend anymore money on it as I am paying 55 for the all in one package anyway and it ain't worth upgrading my box for 100 just to get a few odd channels.

I have also done some checks over the phone with sky such as rescanning all of the channels, full reset, etc, and it is still the same with the same channels doing the freezing, etc.
      Last edited by djbobeb; 01-08-08 at 02:06 PM.

2. Advertisement
      penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Re: Freezing channels and very blocky - stuttery

There are only two components that can cause you problems, the LNB and/or your Sky box.

If it were me I'd downgrade to a basic package at say 22 for the rest of the summer and get Sky out, they will rplace your box and or LNB for 65, and you will save that much in 3 months.

Or upgrade to Sky +

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks, I think I shall stick with the fault as the money I am paying is for the sports and movie channels, sky itself, phone and also broadband. Obviously if I get the cash available and decide to upgrade to Sky+, then a new box may do the job

welshie87 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Neath
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can you please say what the weather conditions were. Because of all the thunder around the UK in the last few days theres alot of static in the air. This can cause a distortion with your sound and picture. In some cases with thunder you can actually lose a signal for a few hours please take this into consideration before deciding anything.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by welshie87 View Post
      Can you please say what the weather conditions were. Because of all the thunder around the UK in the last few days theres alot of static in the air. This can cause a distortion with your sound and picture. In some cases with thunder you can actually lose a signal for a few hours please take this into consideration before deciding anything.
      Hi Welshie, the weather does make it freeze and jumd and stuff, but this issue is there permanently 24/7 what-ever the weather unfortunately.

MR Pieman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01606
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi
      I had the same symptoms a few months ago, I discovered that interference from a cordless phone plugged into the same socket as the sky box line, I move the phone hey presto the channels returned to normal. I searched this forum and found the solution after I had sorted it but nevetheless worth a try. Most of the Sky engineers aren't aware of this as a problem.

Hope it sorts it
      Pieman

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi, tried what you suggested as I do have a cordless phone plugged into the same connector as the sky, however, upon removal and trying the history channel and a few other channels that have the problem, they are still freezing. Thanks anyway

penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Can you beg or borrow a spare Sky Box to try, car boots may have them as a lot of folks have upgraded to Sky+ and have a spare to sell.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Pick the worst channel and then go into the services menu and then the signal test. Keep an eye on the signal levels and see if they are steady, the higher the better.

It could be that the dish is slightly off line and would also explain why they get worse during bad weather.

If so you can call a local company to come and have a look.

If you can get to the dish you could always try it yourself, just get someone infront of the TV, if you cannot hear them shouting from there, then get them to ring you on your mobile.

Don't undo anything, just flex the dish left-right & up-down and see if there is any improvement either in strenght or quality. If there is then see if you can give it a bit of a shove in the right direction, you only need to move it a fraction.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi thanks everyone, I may try and borrow a box from a family member if they are willing to part with it for a bit, but I may also give the dish flex a go too sometime soon. I think the borrowing of a box may be the first point of call. I shall keep you posted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast