Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Engineer visit ?

This is a discussion on Engineer visit ? within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi, Does anyone know if you can insist that Sky support send a Sky engineer to checkout your SkyTVbox ? ...

AlexS is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Draytek Vigor 130 + Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Engineer visit ?

Hi, Does anyone know if you can insist that Sky support send a Sky engineer to checkout your SkyTVbox ? My neighbour believes his Skybox is broadcasting a lot of radio interference as his MW radio reception becomes very noisy and most of the street's broadband connections drop when he turns it on ! Apparently when he last contacted Sky support, they laughed and said it was not possible for the Skybox to do this ?!
      many thanks

2. Advertisement
      penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Re: Engineer visit ?

It certainly won't be broadcasting out of the dish,unless Harriet Jones has turned the subwave back on (we know who she is!).
      Has your neighbour got a Video sender attached to his box, these can cause interference? Or maybe its his television, is it a CRT?

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

This can happen.

famous instance where someone had a faulty power supply on their old tv which caused everyones broadband in his street to drop out, BT even told him this but he wouldn't believe it. So BT bought him a new TV, and the problem fixed itself.

Get your next door neighbour to call in and tell the advisor to ask the Broadband Tech (dunfermline, not Manilla) dept to advise him. If this is the case, then the box needs to be replaced.

However, if he is out of warranty, he's going to have to pay for a new one anyway, so he might as well just phone up, say he wants the sky+ box offer, and an engineer will come out and install it for him, taking away the faulty one.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi, I'll ask him tonight to check with the TV turned off and the Skybox unplugged from the telephone socket. If there's still interference when he turns the Skybox on, we'll know for sure...Thanks for the advice.

iKennett is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by indefatigable View Post
      This can happen.
      Agree, there is even a small team within BT with equipment designed to test for this.

Sam Radford is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01439
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlexS View Post
      Hi, Does anyone know if you can insist that Sky support send a Sky engineer to checkout your SkyTVbox ?
      Just for the record, Sky don't employ "engineers" with the sort of knowledge or test equipment required to investigate this. Their installers wouldn't have a clue. All they are trained to do is climb a ladder and swap dish, LNB, cable or digibox.

Hi, I'll ask him tonight to check with the TV turned off and the Skybox unplugged from the telephone socket. If there's still interference when he turns the Skybox on, we'll know for sure...Thanks for the advice.
      Turning it to Standby probably won't help. Ask him to switch its power off at the wall socket.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well, I've attempted to contact my neighbour to suggest unplugging his Skybox completely to check if it's causing the interference, but it appears he's not interested anymore ! I think he's concerned that if it turns out something of his has been knocking out broadband locally, he'll get a lot of stick for it ...
      I would have thought discovering the cause of a long standing problem ( 10 months ) is something to be applauded. I suppose some people don't think that way...

Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

Sam Radford is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01439
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well, I've attempted to contact my neighbour to suggest unplugging his Skybox completely to check if it's causing the interference, but it appears he's not interested anymore ! I think he's concerned that if it turns out something of his has been knocking out broadband locally, he'll get a lot of stick for it ...
      As with any criminal activity, he'll get a lot less stick if he corrects the problem before the authorities get involved. If the interference is bad, someone is certain to call in the radio investigation squad and they WILL track down the source of the interference. It's going to look bad for him if it's his equipment and he refused to do anything about it.

(I bet he's got a Thomson Digibox. The PSUs are notorious for causing problems.)