Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Box faults - Best course of action?

This is a discussion on Box faults - Best course of action? within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi, I have a standard sky box (Thomson) and dish. Recently it's been losing signal and breaking up. At first ...

webby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02380
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Box faults - Best course of action?

Hi,

I have a standard sky box (Thomson) and dish. Recently it's been losing signal and breaking up. At first it was during heavy rain and I know that can affect the signal so I wasn't bothered. But yesterday the box lost signal altogether and was unusable, even in fine weather.

I had an older Pace (model 1.2.24) box too so I switched them over to see how this one faired. At first it was no better at all, then it began to look ok. This morning though, it's losing signal and breaking up, all of which leads me to believe there's a fault with the cabling or the dish.

I called sky and they told me that the call out fee is 65 and then if I needed a new box I'd have to pay for that as I'm out of warranty. They didn't say how much that would cost. Anyone know?

If an engineer did come out there is another job I'd want him to do; my sky cable runs right around the perimeter of the lounge cos it comes through the wall on the opposite side to where the TV and aerial point is. I want the cable rerouted around the outside of the house instead of inside the lounge. I assume that's not a problem for the engineer?

Now, the question is this: Do I call them out and pay 65 plus, I dunno, 70 for a new box or LNB, or should I just upgrade to Sky+ for 99 plus 60 set up?

I would like Sky+. Am I right in thinking that the LNB is changed when having Sky+ installed anyway and might that fix any problem there might be with the current LNB? Plus I'd have a new box.

What would you recommend is the best course of action?

Many thanks,

Webby

2. Advertisement
      Hornet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Eastbourne, SDESTBR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Billion Bipac 7800N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Box faults - Best course of action?

TBH if you are looking at Sky+ I would myself go for that as when it's installed they will replace the LNB with a twin one and maybe at the same time get them to replace the dish, when I got my Sky+ replaced with new box they wanted to charge me 60 which I got out of and they fitted a new dish that I had which I thought was nice of them.

Sam Radford is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01439
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I had similar symptoms caused by my neighbour's tree which suddenly sprouted a couple of feet higher. I had to chop it down.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well, after leaving it for a couple of weeks where it's been intermittently good and bad, sometimes not working at all, I've finally had enough.

I called sky this morning and asked what my options were.

They said I could pay 65 for an engineer call out which would take care of my signal issues. As I'd tried another box which didn't make a difference, I'd effectively narrowed it down to the LNB. This repair would come with a 3month warranty. I assume the engineer would reroute the cable too if we asked.

If I wanted to upgrade to sky+ this would basically count as a new installation, as the LNB is replaced (I think). Therefore, any faults in the system would be fixed, even if the dish needed moving.

I asked how much that would be and she said 149 for the box and 50 for the install. I bluffed that I didn't realise it was that much and could they do any deal on that. I've got a young baby and couldn't afford that much I said (it's true).

She said she would have to pass me through to sales. I chatted to a guy there who said that he could do it for the online price of 99 + 60 (I don't know why the install price is different). I said Hmmm, can you do no better than that? He then said he could do it for 129 fitted. I was about to accept that and ask if there would be any cost for moving the dish if that was necessary, when he interuppted and said "look, I could do it for 129 plus 3 months half price tv package, which for me is around 22 per month. Well, that sealed it for me. Job done. Being fiited next monday.

One question, does anyone know anything about the phone line connection rule? My phone socket is across the room from the tv. I assume the sky man isn't going to fit a new socket, which I assume means running a telephone extension cable around the room. Do I REALLY need to have it connected?

The guy on the phone said I could also have a cable routed into another room to plug my old standard box into for use with freeview, or for multiroom if I should want it, now, or later. Would you advise I get this done now? I don't actually have a tv in another room yet, but I do plan to.

Thanks

spike7451 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Donaghadee
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

As I'd tried another box which didn't make a difference, I'd effectively narrowed it down to the LNB. This repair would come with a 3month warranty. I assume the engineer would reroute the cable too if we asked.
      No.It The engineer will replace the cable if that is found to be the cause but will not reroute the cable as he may not have the time..If the LNB is at fault then that will be replacedAll Sky jobs are timed,service calls are less than a standard install.

If I wanted to upgrade to sky+ this would basically count as a new installation, as the LNB is replaced (I think). Therefore, any faults in the system would be fixed, even if the dish needed moving.
      If it is a single LNB when the Sky installer calls then he will fit a single LNB.If it is down on his jobsheet as a service call,he will not be able to install Sky+

One question, does anyone know anything about the phone line connection rule? My phone socket is across the room from the tv. I assume the sky man isn't going to fit a new socket, which I assume means running a telephone extension cable around the room. Do I REALLY need to have it connected?
      Yes,for the first year

The guy on the phone said I could also have a cable routed into another room to plug my old standard box into for use with freeview, or for multiroom if I should want it, now, or later.
      The guy on the phone is talking b**ocks to get the sale.What you are talking about is effectivly multiroom.As I said earlier,the jobs are timed & to install multiroom takes longer obviously.If you are using it for freeview or multiroom at a later date,then sky wil not allow the time for the engineer to do that.And if it's freeview,you will be charged.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

As I'd tried another box which didn't make a difference, I'd effectively narrowed it down to the LNB. This repair would come with a 3month warranty. I assume the engineer would reroute the cable too if we asked.
      Quote Originally Posted by spike7451 View Post
      No.It The engineer will replace the cable if that is found to be the cause but will not reroute the cable as he may not have the time..If the LNB is at fault then that will be replacedAll Sky jobs are timed,service calls are less than a standard install.
      Ok, maybe I'll call them about that cos I do want our cable rerouted.

If it is a single LNB when the Sky installer calls then he will fit a single LNB.If it is down on his jobsheet as a service call,he will not be able to install Sky+
      It isn't a service call. It's a sky+ install. Did you not read it all?

Yes,for the first year
      Fair enough.

The guy on the phone said I could also have a cable routed into another room to plug my old standard box into for use with freeview, or for multiroom if I should want it, now, or later.
      The guy on the phone is talking b**ocks to get the sale.What you are talking about is effectivly multiroom.As I said earlier,the jobs are timed & to install multiroom takes longer obviously.If you are using it for freeview or multiroom at a later date,then sky wil not allow the time for the engineer to do that.And if it's freeview,you will be charged.
      Really? If you read carefully, you'll see that this is not a multiroom install. He merely said "do you want a cable put into another room so you can plug your other box into it, for use in freeview mode, OR, to enable the multiroom facility later on if you so wished".

Thanks

Sam Radford is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01439
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
      "do you want a cable put into another room so you can plug your other box into it, for use in freeview mode, OR, to enable the multiroom facility later on if you so wished".
      He obviously meant "Freesat mode". Strange for a Sky worker to confuse the two. Freeview requires an aerial and a Freeview receiver.

spike7451 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Donaghadee
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Really,I suggest you re-read your post carefully

Really? If you read carefully, you'll see that this is not a multiroom install. He merely said "do you want a cable put into another room so you can plug your other box into it, for use in freeview mode, OR, to enable the multiroom facility later on if you so wished".
      Sky will not do that for free nor will they run a cable "so you can plug your other box into it, for use in freeview mode" unless you take mutliroom or freesat.
      Oh & I answered your questions using my experience as a cable & sky engineer & you decided to be cheeky.I I was you,I'd modify my attitude if you expect to get on in life.