Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Signal Strenth/Quality

This is a discussion on Signal Strenth/Quality within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Originally Posted by Brian69 Anything below 50% in good weather is poor. I disagree. See http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-s...-please-2.html...

Sam Radford is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01439
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Signal Strenth/Quality

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Anything below 50% in good weather is poor.
      I disagree. See http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-s...-please-2.html

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

We can argue about this till the cows come home, but in good weather a reading above 50% for both is a very good thing and provides a nice margin for poor weather

Sam Radford is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01439
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It's a nice target to aim for but it's only meaningful for comparison with the same digibox. My Panasonic TU-DSB40 digibox registers a darn good signal as 40%. Another one might need 60% for stable reception. It's very arbitrary. Signal quality is what matters. Aim for at least 50%.

ldoodle is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Well to be on the safe side (as I still think the installer kinked the cable) I have got 100m drum of Webro WF100 single cable (ony 40 delivered) coming next week. At least it will be identical to my existing cables for my freeview connections.

I will re-run 2 cables and hope if makes a slight bit of difference. If not, I may be able to get away with shifting the dish about 0.75m away from neighbours chimney and probably the same distance upwards as well, as opposed to moving onto chimney.
      Last edited by ldoodle; 06-06-08 at 10:56 AM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

OK, have a change of strategy.

Instead of repositioning the dish to the chimney (as this would require special heights each time if anything went wrong in future), I reckon things would be as improved if I stuck it on a pole slightly lower than the apex as this is easily accessible. Don't know why I didn't get Sky to put it there in the first place come to think of it! I then plan to relocate my Freeview aerial to the same place.

So, my current pole is more than adequate (1.5" steel). Only thing I am concerned about is the distance between the wall bracket arms, and what type to get. Is one double bracket enough, or would two singles be better as they can be placed further apart?

Wall brackets FalconSat - | Falconsat.co.uk | Falcon International Satellite

I already have 2 U bolts so really only need the bracket.

Any recommendations

Thanks

If I understand you correctly, you wish to fix two wall brackets, fit a pole with an aerial, and mount the sat dish between the two brackets. Is that correct?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Not quite.

Fix a double bracket with 2 arms welded on - Wall brackets - 9" x 9" WELDED Wall Painted | Falconsat.co.uk | Falcon International Satellite
      Fix 2 single brackets with a bigger distance between them - Wall brackets - 12" WELDED T&K's Galvanised | Falconsat.co.uk | Falcon International Satellite
      Fix one of these - Wall brackets - RAVEN 18" Stand-Off UNIVERSAL Wall Mount | Falconsat.co.uk | Falcon International Satellite

For the last option, I may need to change my pole mine is 1.5" and it states it takes 1.25"

Then fix pole and mount the aerial and dish one below the other, above the roof tiles.

Cheers

Thanks

The problem with this is that the whip of the pole with the aerial on it may be enough to pull the dish out of alignment.
      Have you ever aligned a dish before? if not it would be a good idea to try yours where it is at the moment, you will get an idea of just how small the adjustments need to be.
      If you can arrange your tv so you can see the signal page from the dish, you should see some change by just flexing the dish at the edges.

garally is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Really not a good idea to shift the dish to the chimney, to do this you would need to buy a special chimney bracket that straps all the way around the chimney. By moving the dish it would mean warrenty is affected and sky can refuse to service your equipment for any future faults that may arise. They no longer install dishes on chmineys due to their health and safty policy and so you would have to pay for an independant engineer to service your equipment.That could be pricey as they tend to charge for replacement equipment on top of their service charge. Quality of 50% and above is good and if the picture is good why mess with it, why not wait and if problems start then ask for a deinstall and reinstall with a pole to take the dish to a higher position.

The cable used on sky installs is the ct100 cable.

cheers.

Exchange:
      Thanks

My current chimney mast is already double-lashed (aka "chimney bracket that straps all the way around the chimney"), using 2 single brackets and lashings instead of the more common single bracket, single lashing kit.

I don't quite believe that "they no longer install dishes on chmineys" as what if this was the only available place on some buildings. Would the installers turn round and say "sorry you can't have Sky. Ring CS to cancel subscription".

Doubt it!

With regards to warranty/servicing etc. I think they would apply common sense (well you would think so). If I did move the dish to the chimney and got 100% strength/quality and it was working for x months and suddenly stopped, as long as the dish hadn't moved they couldn't really say it is due to moving the dish.

It is like anything else. Take the BT master socket for example. I have moved mine for a much neater installation and have had no problems with it. Not that BT would know but they couldn't say it's because i've moved the socket that i'm having a problem (not that I am).

If I mucked it up and couldn't get it working, i'd expect to pay a charge for having it fixed!
      Last edited by ldoodle; 09-06-08 at 10:28 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast