Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky tv home network - any ingenious ideas?

This is a discussion on Sky tv home network - any ingenious ideas? within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi folks - i'm a newbie so wanted to say hey but with a stonker of a first question for ...

da_vide78 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky tv home network - any ingenious ideas?

Hi folks - i'm a newbie so wanted to say hey but with a stonker of a first question for you.

I currently have sky+ in my living room, and used 1 of the RF-out to the bedroom with a magic-eye, and the other RF-out to the kitchen (no magic-eye).
      I'm now converting my garage which will have a TV in there but i want to route Sky to there too without having to register for multiroom.

I want to keep magic eye use in the bedroom (ah hum), would like magic eye in the garage, but would also like a feed to the kitchen.

Can anyone give me any suggestions on how best to achieve this or even ways to get multiroom without paying for it! can i use the dish output and feed it into a powered splitter then into the rooms i want?

Any ideas would be greatly received.

Cheers Dave.

2. Advertisement
      Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky tv home network - any ingenious ideas?

Easy - Feed RF2 out to a suitable distribution amplifier (must be magic eye compatible) and then take a feed from the amplifier to all of your TV sets. You can use a magic eye at each output. The obvious issue which no doubt you understand is that you will only be able to watch one channel at a time in the house.

Unfortunately you cannot split a satellite feed and send it to multiple boxes simultaneously. It just won't work.

There is no way of getting true "free" multiroom without paying the multiroom subscription but if what you want to watch mostly are the "free to view" channels (and now that C4, E4, More 4 etc are FTV there are a lot of them) then you can get a second hand sky box to watch them on with no monthly subscription required - You don't even need a sky card in the box any more. All you may need is a Multi LNB and some more LNB feeds to wherever you want to place the Sky Boxes. This is relatively simple to do.

Finally, another thought would be to try the new Freesat system which would give you most of the FTV channels again without a subscription. Freesat uses your existing Sky Satellite dish and LNB. A High Definition freesat receiver is about 150 with a basic Standard Definition model at 50. Either of these solutions gets you the ability to watch a different channel in different rooms - Only you will know if this is important to you.

PVR capable Freesat boxes don't seem to be quite available yet but this should be coming soon. Good reason to wait a few months as PVR facility will also be subscription free which is a big advantage over Sky who don't let you use any Sky+ functions unless you pay for it (either in a subscription package or separately at 10 per month)
      Last edited by Ratcliffes; 03-06-08 at 03:13 PM.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

cheers dude - kind of what i was thinking but didnt think about the freeview stuff.

thanks alot.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ratcliffes View Post
      Easy - Feed RF2 out to a suitable distribution amplifier (must be magic eye compatible) and then take a feed from the amplifier to all of your TV sets. You can use a magic eye at each output. The obvious issue which no doubt you understand is that you will only be able to watch one channel at a time in the house.

PVR capable Freesat boxes don't seem to be quite available yet but this should be coming soon. Good reason to wait a few months as PVR facility will also be subscription free which is a big advantage over Sky who don't let you use any Sky+ functions unless you pay for it (either in a subscription package or separately at 10 per month)

Question - If I buy a sky+ box and hook it up to the 2nd LNB output (my house has sky+) will i get the sky+ function on the 2nd box which will be freeview?

Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry - AFAIK there is no way of getting the Sky+ PVR facilities on a second box unless you take out a multiroom contract (at a cost of 10 extra per month).

As I said, this is a good reason to wait for Freesat HD PVR boxes to become available. Supposed to be coming soon.