Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky signal has become very choppy

This is a discussion on Sky signal has become very choppy within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; For the past four days my Sky signal has been constantly choppy on every channel, ie, every 5-20 seconds the ...

Scramble is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Grantham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Superfast Broadband
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

Sky signal has become very choppy

For the past four days my Sky signal has been constantly choppy on every channel, ie, every 5-20 seconds the signal disappears for a fraction of a second (sometimes for a second) and then comes back, and then disappears again, and so on. I don't get a blue screen, I just get a picture and sound freeze.

This happens on both my Sky and Sky+ box, so it looks like itís not a problem within the box. (The choppiness also gets recorded by Sky+.)

It seems to be different to the interference you can sometimes get in bad weather (and there's no bad weather here in Nottingham at the moment). That usually lasts for about twenty minutes, and never more than a few hours. It also usually results in more substantial interruptions during that period. But the sort of continual choppiness I'm currently getting is completely new, I've never seen it before in 5-6 years of having Sky.

I tried turning the boxes off, unplugging them from the mains, and unconnecting them from the Sky input leads, and leaving them for a while, and then connecting everything back up again and re-starting. But that hasnít helped. I also tried the LNB reset mentioned in Stickies but that didnít help either.

I had a look at Signal Test in Services. Signal Strength usually reads around two-thirds. Signal Quality on both Input 1 and Input 2 (on the Sky+ box) varies a lot, from 40 to 80%, but about 3-4 times within a minute it will drop back to about 10-20% (esp. Input 1), and sometimes it even disappears altogether for a second. And very occasionally the Lock Indicator on Input 1 will stop saying ĎOKí for a few second, and say something like ďNot LockedĒ instead.

However, with the older Sky box the Signal Quality was almost always between 40-80% and it didnít drop to a low amount very often at all (about once every 1-2 minutes). Signal Strength was constantly between 70-80%.

Any advice? Do I need to get Sky in to look at my dish?

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky signal has become very choppy

If you have always lost signal in bad weather for that length of time, then your dish needs attention. I have never lost signal for more than 5mins in very heavy rain, and have a constant 90% quality reading, strength is about 80%
      While they are at it, get the cables checked/replaced as well as they may be damaged.
      Last edited by Brian69; 24-05-08 at 07:50 PM.

Thanks

I'm probably overstating the effects of bad weather -- I'm talking about the occasional bad thunderstorm, normal bad weather usually has little or no effect on my signal.

Speaking of bad weather, I've noticed that in the last half-hour the problem has got much, much better, and this has coincided with the overcast conditions of the last four days suddenly disappearing to reveal blue skies.

Cables -- not that I've examined them properly, but from a casual look they seem fine, and I would have thought it's unlikely to be a cable problem anyway, as both my downstairs Sky+ box and my upstairs Sky box have developed the exact same problem at the exact same time, and they are connected by completely separate cables. But I take the point about having them checked during an inspection, good idea, thanks.

There is a thin bird-poo-shaped patch on one section of the dish, but I don't suppose that would cause any problems.

I should also add that I haven't made any changes to my Sky setup recently, and everything has been working fine for years.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Ah bird poo!!. next time it happens, make sure there is not a bird sitting in front of the lnb and blocking the signal. there isn't a nest close by?

nodrog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wskiw
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: sky hub SR102
      Sky TV: SKY+ HD 1tb box
      Thanks

check the lnb cover usually white isnt cracked the dish can magnify the sun rays and crack the cover or hard frost during winter can also cause cracking this could lead to condensation buid up between cover and the actual lnb equipment
      Last edited by nodrog; 24-05-08 at 10:34 PM. Reason: typo

Sam Radford is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01439
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Do you live near an airport?

Sky satellite TV Interference

Bird problems are common:
      http://sam-radford.me.uk/nosignal.htm

Thanks

>Do you live near an airport?

The nearest airport is East Midlands, but that's about 10-15 miles away, and hasn't caused a problem in 5-6 years of having Sky at this house.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Put plastic cable ties around the dish arm, pointing upwards with the ends cut to a sharp point. That will keep the birds off!

Thanks

I eventually called Sky. The engineer from Sky came around today, he said it was a neighbour's tree that had grown very very tall and was now in the line of sight. He moved the dish up higher and this fixed the problem.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ah, well, the page I linked to, above, tells you to look for a tree in the way!
      No satellite signal is being received
      Very common cause of problems at this time of year. Even suffered myself. Had to chop my neighbour's tree down. (He was asleep - on nights - I told him afterwards!)
      Last edited by Sam Radford; 06-06-08 at 11:14 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast