Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky TV - Subscription End

This is a discussion on Sky TV - Subscription End within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; My subscription with Sky has come to end, i.e. out of the 12 month period. Thinking of seeing what they ...

roonster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Montfort, Leicester
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky TV - Subscription End

My subscription with Sky has come to end, i.e. out of the 12 month period.

Thinking of seeing what they can offer me if I say I want to 'cancel'

Anyone done this recently and got anywhere or any ideas of what I should do/say?

2. Advertisement
      Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky TV - Subscription End

I don't think they are doing many deals and the moment so you will have to be careful as they might actually cancel the whole lot for you.

spike7451 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Donaghadee
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roonster View Post
      My subscription with Sky has come to end, i.e. out of the 12 month period.

Thinking of seeing what they can offer me if I say I want to 'cancel'
      Dont hold your breath! Sky are tighter than a duck's bottom when it comes to this 'bargining' trick.They know that they have you by the b*lls when it comes to the 'I'm gonna cancel' as they have grown so big they can afford to loose a few punters,especially as like me,the is no cable TV services,so it's Sky or freeview.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Spike7451 - don't forget the new Freesat with HD from BBC/ITV. Straight swop of Sky box for Freesat box gives High Definition BBC/ITV etc from a 150 box. Argos, Currys, Comet will have them in stock about now. The Freesat HD system appears to have potential advantages over the Sky HD system and it's possible some BBC/ITV HD will not be viewable on existing Sky HD equipment. It could well be Skys first ever real competition on the same satellite platform.

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

The only benefit that i can see of the new freesat is ITVHD. All other content is already available on FreesatFromSky in additon to loads of other fta/ftv channels that aren't on freesat.

If someone already has sky and they close their sub, then they would go down the Freesatfromsky option as opposed to the freesat option (unless they are desperate for ITVHD).

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You'ed better move quick!, the Which site reports a shortage of Freesat HD receivers

Thanks

It seems the first Freesat batch from Alba (Bush, Goodmans, Grundig) were all recalled due to unspecified software problems. So for the launch only Humax HD boxes were working.

However the Beeb is on record as saying the Sky platform doesn't offer sufficient interactive features and the BBC will have to develop their own. I think it's possible ITV showing HD as an interactive option will be the way the Beeb will go and this may well be a Beeb developed method. It's an elegant solution to Regional broadcasting opt outs for example.

Another example is the Beeb has wanted interactive radio for years and Sky have refused to include this on their platform. Not sure what the Beeb wanted to do with it but they have asked for it many times.

It seems that the Sky system won't do any of this but the new Freesat will, so you could be stuck with needing both systems to receive all the various HD / interactive offerings. Not a pleasant thought.

Lets hope the differences are marginal and the two platforms merge technology over the years. In the interim I won't be buy a HD box for either platform!

Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dms05 View Post
      It seems the first Freesat batch from Alba (Bush, Goodmans, Grundig) were all recalled due to unspecified software problems. So for the launch only Humax HD boxes were working.

However the Beeb is on record as saying the Sky platform doesn't offer sufficient interactive features and the BBC will have to develop their own. I think it's possible ITV showing HD as an interactive option will be the way the Beeb will go and this may well be a Beeb developed method. It's an elegant solution to Regional broadcasting opt outs for example.

Another example is the Beeb has wanted interactive radio for years and Sky have refused to include this on their platform. Not sure what the Beeb wanted to do with it but they have asked for it many times.

It seems that the Sky system won't do any of this but the new Freesat will, so you could be stuck with needing both systems to receive all the various HD / interactive offerings. Not a pleasant thought.

Lets hope the differences are marginal and the two platforms merge technology over the years. In the interim I won't be buy a HD box for either platform!
      The Beeb have said they have no intention of putting BBC HD only on Freesat, if you think about it ITV are depriving themselves of the majority of HD equipment in the UK.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Proppinupthebar View Post
      The Beeb have said they have no intention of putting BBC HD only on Freesat, if you think about it ITV are depriving themselves of the majority of HD equipment in the UK.
      Agreed. Especially ITV who are very much tied to viewer numbers for advertising revenue. However the Beeb seems to want to do more than the Sky platform will allow and whilst BBC HD main channel might be available on both platforms the BBC have indicated that additional material might only be available on Freesat because only Freesat can carry it.

Sky have the problem that thier platform has been around a long time and the parameters were set well in the past. Freesat is new and maybe will push the parameters further and allow things never originally envisaged by Sky.

In any case I hope we have a single unified platform. A format war would be a disaster for the viewer.

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

the problem that sky have is that a lot of the boxes that customers have are not capable of enhanced functions (from a hardware point of view).

Ie some cant do Anytime, some wont get the new epg.... and because of this limitation sky cant increase the number of EPG slots available etc etc

For sky to move forward further, they will have to either various versions of functionality (which to a degree already exists) or wholesale replace all boxes at their cost.

Remember sky digital came out about 8 or 9 yrs ago so the original boxes just cant be upgraded for new functionality.... 9 yrs is a long time in technology.

As dms05 says, with freesat being new, the boxes will be able to cater for a lot more. It's not that sky dont want to be able to offer these, they just simply have a legacy issue that needs to be addressed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast