Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Parental control protecting 18 cert when not enabled!

This is a discussion on Parental control protecting 18 cert when not enabled! within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I think you are missing the point, this is Law, not something introduced by Sky to make things difficult. The ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Parental control protecting 18 cert when not enabled!

I think you are missing the point, this is Law, not something introduced by Sky to make things difficult.
      The same 4 numbers pin is the best solution, just keep changing it every now and then so the button does not wear out.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      leecovuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hello cassius_west,

I still haven't managed to work out for sure if this behaviour is how it is supposed to be, and then if Sky can disable it anyway. My digibox seems to act differently often from one day to the next, so presumably there may be something wrong with it.

For example, some evenings I find I need to enter the PIN just once on selecting an 18 rated programme, then that seems to be held for all subsequent channel selections.
      Then on other occasions, I have to enter the PIN each and every time I select any 18 rated programme which indeed is ridiculous.

I saw another thread on here where somebody was trying to get advice on this issue, but it degenerated amid crossed wires.
      I agree with you and cannot see any logic behind persisting with a PIN requirement when there are no user viewing restrictions set up in the box.
      So I'm still waiting for somebody or Sky (I emailed them) to tell me exactly how things should work, as I am not sure.

Lee

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

The requirements for a PIN are set out by law and not by Sky. Whether people like it or not all tv service providers (Sky, VM etc) were made to introduce the PIN system to protect minors.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Paul,

That's as may be, but I'm not asking about the laws and regulations. I'm trying to find out clearly and specifically what should happen on a digibox regarding this issue. As I said, my box exhibits some differing behaviour.

Once I know for sure how things should be, I can then either tolerate it / continue to be annoyed by the enforced nannying / look into my box or card being faulty.

Thanks,
      Lee

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

As previously posted this is what should happen-
      Sky U, can be shown at any time.
      Universal, suitable for all audiences, including young children.
      Sky PG, can be shown at any time.
      Parental Guidance is recommended. This classification suggests some discretion may need to be applied as to the suitability of the film, where young or impressionable children are viewing.
      Sky 12, may not start before 8pm.
      Suitable for viewers aged 12 years and over. More mature themes or language make this unsuitable for viewing by young children.
      Sky 15, may not start before 8pm.
      Suitable for viewers aged 15 years and over. This classification will be awarded to a film which may contain stronger language, violence or themes.
      Sky 18, may not start before 10pm.
      Suitable only for adult viewers aged 18 and over
      If your box is displaying different behaviour, call Sky support, explain the problem and ask them to sort it. It could be your box has a fault and needs replaced. PINs are required per program and not for a period of viewing.
      Last edited by Isitme; 21-12-08 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Fixed quote

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks isitme, but that still doesn't really answer my question.
      To hopefully avoid this going the same way as the other thread I mentioned, maybe I can pose a simple test scenario; if a couple of people reading this believe their non-Sky+ digibox is working properly, could you kindly do the simple test and let me know the results.

Set up :-

Go into your Parental Control settings in your digibox and verify in each sub menu that you have no viewing restrictions set up anywhere. You are allowing/have not removed Adult Channels.

The test (presumably best done between 9 PM and 5.30 AM) :-

From the digibox in standby, turn on the box on and tune to Babestation on channel 906.
      Are you required to enter your PIN to view it? Yes/No.
      Then, channel up to Friendly TV/Babecast on channel 907.
      Are you required to enter your PIN to view it? Yes/No.

Thanks and that, regardless of the reasons, should let me know the behaviour I should expect.

Lee

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12