Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Home Distribution Problems

This is a discussion on Home Distribution Problems within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I have got around to fitting a Home-link system at last. The distribution box is earthed externally to the fused ...

IainAF is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Full TV package only
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Home Distribution Problems

I have got around to fitting a Home-link system at last. The distribution box is earthed externally to the fused spur from which it is powered. I've used good quality satellite coax and 'F' connectors throughout. I have only got the Sky+ LNB1, DVB aerial and VHF aerial as inputs to the distribution box.
      The living room (42" Panasonic Plasma, Sky+ and DVD recorder) is working well except that to get channel 5, I am having to use a masthead booster on the DVB aerial in to the distribution box. Sky+ services all work, all sky channels are available and all DVB signals are good, and the DVD recorder works also. In Sky Services, both signal strengths 1 and 2 are good.
      In the conservatory (32" Panasonic CRT), I have all the DVB channels but the quality of the Sky signal is poor (slight ghosting and instability). If I disconnect the masthead booster, I only find about four DVB channels but the Sky signal is a bit better. I have been through the process of manually tuning the Sky signal to all available channel numbers on the Sky box (services / 0,1 then LNB channel setup) and have settled for Ch# 68 where there are no harmonics.
      In the master bedroom (19" Samsung LCD), I have all the DVB channels, with pixellation on Ch5, 5US, Fiver and all the shopping channels (which I can do without!) but no Sky signal until I manually tune 'Analogue' to Ch# 68, and whether the booster is connected or not I get ghosting on Sky. All TVlink 'eyes' are working also. I am happy that all 'F' connections are good.
      I am unsure as to whether I need to buy a new booster, fit an in-line Sky booster etc. Have you any tips or advice?

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Home Distribution Problems

*cough* Must be some takers?
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi Iain.
      It's very hard to set up a sucessful distribution system with input signals which are not fairly equal at the start, and with no way of measuring them. I think this is your problem.
      The trouble with fitting a booster to get a weak signal is that it over-amps the others. What sort of aerial are you using for DVB? the best bet might be a log-peridoc, their gain is lower bur fairly flat across the UHF band so that along with your booster may help.

When it comes to distrubution channels, there are rules about this. You need to know all the off-air channels ( in your case I would guess from Winter Hill and Moel-Y-Parc) and then work out the N+/- 5 and N+/- 9 relationships. In other words no two channels on your system can be 9 or 5 channels apart.
      As I say, without a good meter you are working blind, so see if you can hire one local.

For example, you have a signal on channel 55 (n) from Winter Hill, so you should not use 60 (n+5) or 50 (n-5) or 64 (n+9) or 46 (n-9)

The effect of a signal clash when one is digital, is to make the analogue one appear weaker, so you think you need to add more gain.
      Last edited by Brian69; 10-05-08 at 07:59 AM.

IainAF is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Full TV package only
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks, Brian.

I was aware of the +/-5 and +/-9 harmonics but it is useful to have those comments for other potential readers.
      The suggestion of the boosting causing over-amping could explain the good reception of the DVB channels but poor distribution reception of the Sky signal. Perhaps a variable gain booster could 'balance' the signals better.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi Iain.
      using Ch 68 for distribution is a problem. It is an n+9 clash with Winter Hill ITV Ch 59. there is also a digital mulitplex from Winter Hill on that channel. A quick run through the n clashes for Winter Hill and Moel-y-Parc, indicates that their channels are at the mid to top end of UHF. Ch 24 looks clean, but there maybe a relay on it close by
      Last edited by Brian69; 12-05-08 at 05:03 PM.