Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Resolution keeps changing ?!?!

This is a discussion on Resolution keeps changing ?!?! within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Yet, thats the way its been designed to work since the late 1990's....

Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Resolution keeps changing ?!?!

Yet, thats the way its been designed to work since the late 1990's.

2. Advertisement
      richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

i'm going to have a look into this (i'm no expert), i have a phillips 32" LCD and never notice any change on my screen, but i was at the old mans at the weekend, he has a rather large sony LCD and asked me to look at the settings as the logo's in sky sports were bleeding off the top. the sky setting was fine, but the tv setting was wrong. i changed and all looked good untill a couple of hours later when boomerang was on and again the screen seemed to have grown (logo to close to the top). there was another setting on the tv (i cannot remember what it was called) but it seemed to "track" the size of the picture, when i changed this to 16.9 also it seemed to fix the problem.
      not back there for a couple of weeks tho.

will see what setting my TV has and if i can notice any stretch or fat people

silverfox is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Washington
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Like I said, this has only just started to happen. You can set the screen resolution as much as you like, but when you do a power recycle the picture goes back to 4:3

apostulus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01506
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

did you ever solve the problem of your TV picture format changing? The replies that you got suggesting that the picture was supposed to be like that on some films / programmes etc were rubbish. I have had the same problem for about 4/5 weeks. My TV screen just switches from wide to narrow at the flick of a switch, even when I switched to interactive to watch one of the multiple screens on the tennis last week I could only view the match on the narrow screen. Even when I go into TV guide I get the narrow picture. This morning I phoned Sky TV Customer Services just to confirm what I already thought (I used to work with Sky) that it was nothing to do with Sky or Sky+ it was a problem with the TV picture format. The Technical Support team said I would have to go into the TV manual and reformat my TV. I can't find the TV manual so I'm stuck. HELP! Strange this is happening to a number of users though.

aws1967 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hello,
      Im new to this forum and have discovered I have the same problem with the aspect ratio changing since having sky+ installed yesterday. For example C5, Discovery Channel and Gold always seem to change to the 4:3 aspect ratio. I do not want too watch in a 4:3 aspect ratio, I prefer everything in widescreen.
      Previously I had sky for 10+ years and it has never done this until sky + was installed.
      Ive tried a few things:
      1. Moving the scart to the VCR output does not work.
      2. Disconnecting pin 8 does not work.
      Please has anyone found a solution to this annoying problem, when it changes aspect, I have to find the Toshiba TV remote and press the size button 6 times to get it back to widescreen.
      Thanks in advance.

ezdub is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I don't see how you can say this has just started to happen.

I have a JVC plasma that is now 6 years old that has the auto feature which detects the signal ratio from a standard digi box (now in the kids playroom) and it has always done this.

You can set the TV to not do this and stay on full screen 4:3 or wide screen 16:9 or auto.

Like Proppinupthebar said this feature has been around for sometime now.

aws1967 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

It has only been doing it since sky+ was installed, the normal sky did not do it. Yes you can set the tv to widescreen, but the sky + will change it to 4:3 on certain programs, and to change it back I have to find the TV remote and press the aspect size button 6 times to get to 16:9, very annoying, annoying enough that I am considering sending the sky+ back.
      You and Proppinupthebar are quite right, this feature has been around for sometime now, but nobody has come up with a solutiion to stop it.
      I dont want to watch 4:3 aspect ratio.
      Cheers.

ezdub is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I think that if it is doing on both outputs on the sky+ box, the only other option maybe is to run it through a vcr to the tv.

IE: sky to vcr, vcr to tv

or if you have composite connections on the tv you could do it that way, with a scart adapter.

GRAHAMR is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01685
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
      what utter tosh. You have always been able to set the resolution you wanted and sky has always followed suit. Even using a scart cable as recommended. This is something new that has just started happening. I would be interested to see what the real answer to this is.
      the same thing happened to my set up,at the same time i noticed i had automatic standby on my digibox which was not an option previously.i understand this was programmed remotely by sky.never had to change between 4.3 and 16.9 before.i have a pace digibox

andyrad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01142
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

yes my parents TV does this all the time and they keep having to adjust using the remote yet i have the same brand tv (not the exact same model and size) and mine dosnt alter all the time

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast