Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky+ Component Output

This is a discussion on Sky+ Component Output within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi all, im looking for a bit of advice outputting my Sky+ to my HD tele via component cables. I ...

el_roberto86 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky+ Component Output

Hi all, im looking for a bit of advice outputting my Sky+ to my HD tele via component cables. I have attached the component cables to and from my tele but i cannot find the setting to use the component output instead of the scart. Is this possible? if so, how? Thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Re: Sky+ Component Output

As far as I'm aware you have a choice of composite video or RGB via the scart connector, i haven't tried the S-Video connector but that's the only other choice.

Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

AFAIK Component Video is only available on the Thompson Sky HD box - Can you confirm the model you are using?

Assuming it is a SkyHD box, the component output (Three Phono sockets red, blue and green) should be active simultaneously with the other outputs SCART, HDMI, S-Video) - there is no option to turn them off.

Don't forget to make sure the Component input is selected on the TV set itself. Method here will depend of make/model of set but on most you will need to cycle through the AV inputs until you come across the Component one.

If you don't have a SkyHD box, I don't think component is an option.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I can confirm i have a Thomson Sky+ box with the Red, Green Blue component connectors on the back. I had already selected the Component AV on the TV but still no picture.

If component is not an option why would it have the connectors on the box?

Any suggestions?

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Component Video can also be Progressive Scan. I have an HDD recorder that will do both and unless you select the correct matching pair you'll not get a picture. Is their anything like that on your box and/or TV?

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

@elroberto86
      On my HD box, standard definition is output via component video at 576i (ie interlaced not progressive). Ovbiously the TV needs to be capable of accepting a component signal at this resolution.

In order to have a fighting chance of helping we will need the model number of your Sky+ box and the make and model of your TV. Most Sky boxes with the possible exception of the most recent models are listed here Sky plus model numbers

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I believe my Sky+ box is the last but one box in that list

THOMSON DSI8210 160GB (80GB) = PVR3 - [4E21nn]

My television is the Samsung LE37R87BDX/XEU LINK

Thanks for all your help

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well I am stumped - The maual for your TV set confirms that 576i is supported via the component video input (as is 480 i and p). Do you have any other sources which have a component output you could use as a test - Many DVD players have component for example. Try connecting via the same lead and select the component input on your TV.

The other odd thing is that I cannot find any of the many variants of the Sky+ PVR3 which have Component outputs - If there is any chance you could post a picture of the rear panel that might help. I don't have access to a Thompson PVR3. Where on the back panel can you find the three Component phono sockets? All the pictures I can find on the net of a Thompson PVR3 don't have any. I understand that the chassis of the Thompson PVR3 has some common features with the Thompson SkyHD box. I am wondering if in later models they might have included the sockets but since there is no HD output on a PVR3 they are not enabled. There should be little real world advantage in using component for Standard Def pictures over RGB Scart as long as you use a quality scart lead IMHO.

My Sky HD box has no problem outputting via component to a Sony Bravia TV and there is no way of turning the Component outputs on and off in any of the Sky menus.
      Last edited by Ratcliffes; 23-04-08 at 12:50 AM.