Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sky's New EPG

This is a discussion on Sky's New EPG within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Originally Posted by Proppinupthebar Thats the unfortunate result of the massive number of channels available, more channels, finite amount of ...

spike7451 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Donaghadee
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky's New EPG

Quote Originally Posted by Proppinupthebar View Post
      Thats the unfortunate result of the massive number of channels available, more channels, finite amount of memory in the STB, means theres a limit on the amount of data Sky can send out.
      Maybe though with the new EPG which will be stored on the PVR hard drive, Sky will be able to increase the number of days of info available to PVR owners?
      Not only that but because of regional channels,a lot of TV programmes are not scheduled any more than 7 days before the week of transmission to allow for changes.(A friend works for the Beeb over here & I asked him the same question ,so that's his answer)

2. Advertisement
      Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spike7451 View Post
      Not only that but because of regional channels,a lot of TV programmes are not scheduled any more than 7 days before the week of transmission to allow for changes.(A friend works for the Beeb over here & I asked him the same question ,so that's his answer)
      What regional channels? BBC and ITV schedules are done for over a month in advance. They certainly dont plan only a week in advance. Theres over a months worth of schedules available on Tivo, so can't see why Sky PVRs cannot get more schedule info. The limiting factor at the moment is certainly the amount of memory in the boxes.
      There is no p in Thomson.

TheVoyager is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: WRBRIX
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet Unl.Fibre
      Router: TP-Link VR2600
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1TB *2
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Proppinupthebar View Post
      The limiting factor at the moment is certainly the amount of memory in the boxes.
      When I last spoke to SKY about this, they said the same thing and that they would not be offering anymore, because there are so many boxes out there that would not be able to receive the extra info.

It might be a good idea for them to think about offering an upgrade option whereby they actually replace your old box with a new one, giving you a discount dependent on the condition of the old box (the better it is they more discount you receive), then they could refurb the old boxes with new software/hardware. Not everyone can afford to keep forking out for a new box when they bring out something new like they did with SKY Anytime which you cannot get with the older boxes.
      Bob

paul7285 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Preview of the new Sky EPG is on this week's technofile on sky news:

Technofile: Get To Know HD TV - Sky News Video Player

mike1976 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I think there should be an easier way of getting into the planner (rather than having to go to TV guide first), by pressing the green button would be a good way of doing this.

ldoodle is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I think they should seperate what's to be recorded and what has been recorded.

I'd also prefer a confirmation box when deleting as opposed to having to 'keep' everythng. I know a lot of people on here prefer the 'keep' option, but this is surely a simple setting that can be changed by the user in the options menu.

As they will store the EPG on the disk, there's no reason they can't please the majority of subscribers with changeable settings.
      Last edited by ldoodle; 12-06-08 at 11:55 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12