Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

No Satellite Signal Being Received

This is a discussion on No Satellite Signal Being Received within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Been tearing my hair out tonight with this one so wondering if anyone can help? Came home tonight to be ...

Martin T is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Mannofield
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

No Satellite Signal Being Received

Been tearing my hair out tonight with this one so wondering if anyone can help?

Came home tonight to be told that there was a message on our Sky+ screen stating that "no Satellite signal was being received" with the number 25 in the top right corner. This came up this afternoon when the wife came home and switched on Sky for our daughter.

Having only had Sky+ installed a couple of months ago I consulted the trouble shooting guide in the manual and switched off, unplugged etc following the allotted timescales. Problem solved, picture back. Set a programme to record tonight but it didn't start, so set the record manually. Went back to the previous channel we were watching only to see that no Satellite signal message again. Checked the signal test and noted that only Input 2 was receiving a signal.

Switched off, unplugged again. Picture back. Tried to record two channels, no luck only one playing ball. Checked the signal test again and this time it said that only Input 1 was receiving a signal!

Searched on this forum and carried out various advice given (carrying out new installation, switching off/on LNB, switching off Anytime) but problems persist, only one input being received. I even swapped over the satellite cable inputs going into the back of the Sky+ box but this just resulted in no signal being received on either input. I swapped them back but that problem persisted. I have now however got Input 1 working again at least.

I'm no expert but from what I've read on these forums it sounds like a problem with the LNB. We have had pretty persistent rain here for the past couple of days and last night and this morning saw heavy snow showers so i think water must have got in there somewhere. If its not working by tomorrow I intend phoning Sky but just wanted to check first that I hadn't missed anything obvious?

Any advice gratefully received?

thanks

Martin

2. Advertisement
      Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: No Satellite Signal Being Received

It does sound like a drowned LNB - particularly if one of the two feeds always works and the other doesn't. If you upgraded to Sky+ from standard Sky and still have your old digibox, you could try plugging that in. Plug in one of the two LNB feeds and see if you get a stable picture - Also look at the signal strength/quality meter. Then try the second feed and compare the results.

The LNB should be protected from the weather but installers frequently fail to use silicon grease and self amalgamating tape to protect the connections - It could be as simple as water in the F connector. If you can get up to your LNB yourself it might save an engineer's visit if you can check the connections out.

If your Sky+ box is only a couple of months old it is unlilkely to be a failed or failing power supply but many Thompson Sky+ and SkyHD boxes are failing at around 12 months old. See NotOnYourTelly :: View topic - Thompson Sky-HD (and Sky+) PSU failure

A failing PSU can cause pixellation and other wierd effects. If you have a Thompson box you can check the capacitors on the power supply which start to bulge as they begin to go south. See the link above for instructions.

VEG
      VEG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Maesteg
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

I had the same problem after having sky+ installed called out the sky fitter and he said that the dish had moved slightly.

Thanks

Just a quick update. I switched on the Sky+ this morning to find that all was well and both inputs were receiving a signal. The signal did go off again mid morning just for a few seconds but came back and has been okay ever since. We have seen the sun today and there has been a bit of a breeze so it appears this may have dried things out. I do hope it has just been the case of water/wind at the wrong angle but it will be at the back of mind that if there is a bit of a storm going that this problem will occur again.

I didn't have Sky before so can't test an alternative box but now everything is okay I don't want to tempt fate by having a fiddle round the back. Thanks for all help.

VEG
      VEG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Maesteg
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

The signal on mine came and went only lost the second signal though. But as it had only recently been installed got the fitter back.

Sam Radford is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01439
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If water did get into the LNB and/or cables the system will eventually fail due to corrosion. If the cable dielectric is air-spaced (it usually is) it can carry water, by capillary action, inside the Digibox and destroy it. You really need to replace cables and re-seal connections as a precaution.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Martin T View Post
      Just a quick update. I switched on the Sky+ this morning to find that all was well and both inputs were receiving a signal.
      mmmm. This is getting even more puzzling. Overnight on Thursday we had rain. No satellite signal on Friday morning but came on later in the day. Rain Friday night same story Saturday morning. It was showery throughout the day but I managed to get a signal on Saturday evening. I got up on Sunday morning and it appeared as though there had been no rain but it had been a cold night so everything was damp. Signal off again.

Called Sky yesterday morning and after punching in various numbers and self test at the guidance of the opeartor the signal fired up again. I explained the weather situation and got the standard reply that it can affect the signal. What every time there is a shower? If that's the case in the UK we should only receive Sky pro-rata for two months of the year!

We went out for the day and although there were a couple of showers they were fairly light. When we got home box wasn't receiving a signal again. Pulled out the plug, left it off for a while and got the signal back.

As it was working I left it on overnight but forgot that the energy saving function switches it off. Switched the box expecting no signal (especially as it had been raining overnight) and it was working fine. It's been fine weather today and no problems with the signal.

I'm beginning to follow the train of thought that the dish may be out of allignment. Another call to Sky beckons!!!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Some cowboy installers fit only 2 or 3 bolts to the wall bracket, leaving the dish to flap in the wind. Count the bolt heads.

Thanks

Well, Sky attended today. Had a look at the dish, cables etc, checked the signal at the dish all okay there. Must be the box!!

Swapped over the Sky+ box (Amstrad for a Amstrad.....at least a new for new swap) and everything appears okay. Slightly annoying as we had 20+ hours of programmes on there to watch. I'm convinced though and as someone has mentioned on another post, the picture is not as sharp as the last box! Checked it's on RGB....okay there.

One advantage is that the Installer left the old remote........cue channel changing wars with the wife!
      Last edited by Martin T; 17-04-08 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Martin T View Post
      Slightly annoying as we had 20+ hours of programmes on there to watch. I'm convinced though and as someone has mentioned on another post, the picture is not as sharp as the last box!
      Ask Sky for a credit for the programmes you lost.
      Check the brightness setting in the "Picture" menu.