Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky+ Box on Freesat.

This is a discussion on Sky+ Box on Freesat. within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi. Sorry if this has been answered before but I could not find an explanation. I currently have Sky Freesat ...

1960darrenh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky+ Box on Freesat.

Hi.

Sorry if this has been answered before but I could not find an explanation.

I currently have Sky Freesat going through a Thomson box. I am looking for something to record programs for me which has a twin tuner etc. I have seen Sky+ Boxes on Ebay for good prices and wondered what would happen if I purchased one.

I'm confused by conflicting stories about subscriptions and LNB's and stuff.

If a Sky+ Box will not work, what would be my best option? I dont really want a DVD Recorder as they dont have twin tuners or as versatile as the Sky+ units.

Thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky+ Box on Freesat.

Sky+ needs a subscription for the PVR features.
      I would hang on for a little while and see what Freesat PVR boxes come out. There are boxes like this which will work Welcome to HUMAX [Global Website]
      But depending upon how Freesat does its EPG you might not get a full EPG with the box above. You will need two feeds from the LNB to any box with twin tuners.
      There is no p in Thomson.

TheWhizzz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gravesend
      Broadband ISP: 02
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

i heard if you paid sky 10 a month they would activate the plus features on the sky freesat although i might be wrong
      Please take a moment and upgrade your bit torrent client to the latest version.
      Help traffic shaped users by enabling protocol encryption in Az or T

Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhizzz View Post
      i heard if you paid sky 10 a month they would activate the plus features on the sky freesat although i might be wrong

The Sky+ feature is activated by a flag set on the smartcard. So you need a smartcard, then you have to pay the tenner a month unless you subscribe to certain packages.
      There is no p in Thomson.

Sam Radford is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01439
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhizzz View Post
      This is true, but the only way to do it (allegedly) is to subscribe to the minimum Sky package, get Sky+ activated, then cancel within the "cooling off period" (7 days?) but insist on paying the 10 a month to keep the recording facilities.

Considering the potential hassle, it's easier just to keep paying the minimum package charge. At least then you'd have Sky One etc.

1960darrenh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

So I assume then that I could go ahead and buy a Sky+ box off Ebay, Buy a new LNB, phone Sky to get it activated and then I should be up and running and have all the facilities available to me as if I'd upgraded with Sky?

I phoned Sky the other day to enquire about upgrading to Sky+. Even though I'm an existing customer they said it would cost me around 200 inc installation to upgrade. This is daylight robbery as far as I'm concerened. I told them I wanted to cancel (threat) but they told me I had 9 months of my contract remaining (DDUUHHH, I'm so thick!)

Sam Radford is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01439
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You have to use the magic words with Sky:-

"I have a Sky system installed. I would like you to send me a second-hand-contract form, please." (You are applying for a card to use in a second-hand Digibox.)

If the operator argues or professes not to understand, hang up and then try again with another operator. Some are dumb or will try to "sell you up" but most will simply say "OK" and ask for your details.

Once you have the form, fill it in and send it back. When you receive your subscription card, shove it into the slot in your Sky+ Digibox, phone Sky and ask them to activate the card AND activate the Sky+ recording feature. They will ask you for details off the menu screen.

Then, if you want to drop to 10 a month, refer to my original post, above.