Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

8 room multi-room setup - novice needs advice

This is a discussion on 8 room multi-room setup - novice needs advice within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Im currently convertin my house to 6 beds + games room and want to install Sky for the first time. ...

netmaker is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

8 room multi-room setup - novice needs advice

Im currently convertin my house to 6 beds + games room and want to install Sky for the first time. My partner is moving in with her 2 teenagers who wont come unless sky is available. That makes 5 teenagers and 2 adults. I know it would be easier to stay single but Im up for a challenge. Im tryign to do the lot with 4 Sky boxes and a lot of cabling. The enclosed diagram is how I see it but I need experts to tell me if there is a better way and also what type of cabling is needed, particularly for the HD. The boxes are going to be located centrally. with Skylinks in all rooms - I have only shown this on 4 rooms as it was looking very messy.

Any thoughts or advice would be gratefully accepted. Dump the teenagers is not an option!!

Paul
      Attached Files Attached Files

2. Advertisement
      SimpleRules is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: 8 room multi-room setup - novice needs advice

Quote Originally Posted by netmaker View Post
      Im currently convertin my house to 6 beds + games room and want to install Sky for the first time. My partner is moving in with her 2 teenagers who wont come unless sky is available. That makes 5 teenagers and 2 adults. I know it would be easier to stay single but Im up for a challenge. Im tryign to do the lot with 4 Sky boxes and a lot of cabling. The enclosed diagram is how I see it but I need experts to tell me if there is a better way and also what type of cabling is needed, particularly for the HD. The boxes are going to be located centrally. with Skylinks in all rooms - I have only shown this on 4 rooms as it was looking very messy.

Any thoughts or advice would be gratefully accepted. Dump the teenagers is not an option!!

Paul
      How will all 4 boxes have viewing card/subscriptions? I thought Multiroom was limited to 1 box and your original.

Without a card/sub isn't it just a glorified freeview box?

tapzilla2k is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oxford SMOF
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by netmaker View Post

Paul
      I think a trip to AVForums Home would probably be a good idea, you should be able to find a few boffins over there who can help you. I've read a few threads over there in the past about complicated setups for Sky.

I did hear rumours that Sky have plans for a network style distrubution system, however i think the costs of such a system have put Sky off for the time being.
      I think it's something like this - CanalDigitaal Delivers World's First Wireless Entire-Home Satellite Distribution Service
      Last edited by tapzilla2k; 12-10-07 at 06:48 PM.

smegs is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Langley Mill
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Make it easy on Urself, get rid of the KIDS

munted101 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Are you limited to 4 boxes by budget, as a box per room would be better.

Quattro LNB (Sky) and Terrestial aerial to x5 input x16 output distribution amp.

Two cables to each room, fed into undiplexing wall plate.

Leaves you with two independant sat outputs and one for terrestial.

x7 multiroom subs though !?

xenonlenardg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: lmnar
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

try to use only one box... plug it to the main socket and use a wep security (wireless setting) to connect all the equipment. make sure you'll get a technician who knows how to set it up.

Whit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01270 - Willaston
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xenonlenardg View Post
      try to use only one box... plug it to the main socket and use a wep security (wireless setting) to connect all the equipment. make sure you'll get a technician who knows how to set it up.
      ...!?