Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Like Tree5Likes

Beware of bogus Sky TV warranty letters/telephone calls.

This is a discussion on Beware of bogus Sky TV warranty letters/telephone calls. within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hello everybody peeps, Just been to my Sisters for Sunday Dinner (Yummy it was too) and my Sister has just ...

noggo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Beware of bogus Sky TV warranty letters/telephone calls.

Hello everybody peeps,

Just been to my Sisters for Sunday Dinner (Yummy it was too) and my Sister has just got one of the mentioned letters on page 3 of this thread, for a maintenance contact + they have called her a few times about it. I've told her not to take it out because I remembered watching something on Watchdog last year about them and what I've just been reading here just confirms they're a bunch of mother truckers.

Q. Is it worth letting Sky know about it or is it going to fall on deaf ears? Although she would like to know how they got the telephone number (ex-directory), address and how they knew the 12 months contract was nearly up.

Laters
      Last edited by noggo; 25-11-08 at 11:54 AM.

2. Advertisement
      googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I have just joined the club. Letter turned up today which is a joke.

"A FINAL REMINDER for you to take up this exclusive offer.", I never had the 1st reminder.

skypaulusplus Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

after thinkingh my mam got one afound when the tread started and as her Financial Advisor + i advised her to rip it up ,but as i remember she was on the month by month contract so sky took the box and it was not hers

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by googleme View Post
      I have just joined the club. Letter turned up today which is a joke.

"A FINAL REMINDER for you to take up this exclusive offer.", I never had the 1st reminder.
      This is a shady tactic used by a lot of companies and some big well known ones as well. When people see words like "FINAL REMINDER" or "Despatch invoice" they just cough up thinking it's a bill.

Apparently this is one that befalls big companies all the time they apparently pay up to these fake bills and not even realise that it isn't one.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

DSWCMICK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

sorry guys i have been off for a wile..... no i am not a mole for DSWC .... i am part of there staff. have any of you who have been " RIPPED OFF" checked your warrenty documents when they arrived to see if they were correct???? or listened on the phone when we do cold call.... i am willing to answer any questions you have.

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DSWCMICK View Post
      sorry guys i have been off for a wile..... no i am not a mole for DSWC .... i am part of there staff. have any of you who have been " RIPPED OFF" checked your warrenty documents when they arrived to see if they were correct???? or listened on the phone when we do cold call.... i am willing to answer any questions you have.
      Heres one, why was my wife hung up on when she said that a member of the family worked for sky when she was cold called ?

ee64 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01202
      Broadband ISP: o2 premium
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

just had the unsolicited phone cal from Digital Satellite Warranty Cover Ltd - I had the letter last week as well. Since I am registered with both the Mail Preference Service (MPS) and the telephone preference service (TPS) I have made complaints to both. Whilst this has little practical effect, at least it recordes the complaint and maybe one day something will be done to stop this nonsense.

I do think Sky could be more pro-active in warning its customers that these companies have NO OFFICIAL backing from Sky.

It still worries me that my ex-directory phone number finds its way to these companies - I'm not accusing Sky but its a strange thing that they are one of the few companies that legitimitly know my phone number!

Lucrativus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01302
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DSWCMICK View Post
      Checked the warranty documents - that's a laugh, I got a single sheet of paper with next to nothing on it (and that was only after I had rung them for confirmation of cover). I even had to pay extra because it was an HD box (11.99 per month).

The docs were correct in as much as what they contained but they left out important details - I signed up for cover for my Sky+HD box - when I called you lot out because of a fault, the engineer left a very old (and noisy) Sky+ box, not an HD box (the repair company does not carry HD boxes for replacement use). He also told me that the repairs would take 2-3 weeks. The repairs took SEVEN weeks and the engineer who returned the box said that this was normal. If your company had told me when I first enquired about the service that the replacement box would not be an HD box then you would not have got my custom.
      One other thing is that you ring up on an 087 number and then kept hanging on for a long time, if you report a fault you are given another 087 number to ring. 087 numbers are expensive, but then you know that don't you - keep the customers hanging, on more money in your pockets.

Thankfully my contract is up in January and I have cancelled the direct debit. I would not touch your company with a bargepole.

I do not like underhanded salesmanship where important details are deliberately omitted when talking to customers at the outset. I hope this message puts others off.

skydog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi Everyone!

Received a letter from 'Digital Satellite Warranty Cover Ltd' last week & a phone call today. When asked if they were calling from Sky, they answered 'yes'!

Also received a letter from Sky offering their protection cover today.

Phoned Sky (not on their 0870/0871 number!) to try & establish how this company had acquired my details as I am also on the Mail & Telephone Preference register. Operator informed me that the 'pass my details to other companies' box was ticked - immediately asked him to untick the box, which he did. If you are not sure I suggest you ask Sky to take you off their list too.

If Sky are selling on customer details, it probably explains why this company has address/telephone details. As for when your warranty runs out, I think they are fishing & hoping that they can scare customers into buying their 'insurance'.

Sky are aware of this company & are gathering data on their rather dubious practices. Probably worth contacting them to help build a case against them.

skydog

sinclaircats is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: High Marnham
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Lucky for me I just felt uneasy about the two letters from these people and googled the name and found you guys. Surely if you have had SKY for a while and it went wrong they would repair for free or face losing your custom which in my case is 45 a month !!!!!!! My neighbour just got sky and I got a 50 pounds M&S voucher yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeee and she has a SKY + box for free so the warrenty's seem worthless anyway

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 24-11-08, 08:42 AM
    2. 17-09-08, 04:11 PM
    3. 22-05-08, 01:59 PM
    4. 22-05-08, 12:14 PM
    5. 28-03-08, 07:40 PM
    6. 12-03-08, 11:12 PM
    7. 31-01-08, 02:44 PM
    8. 31-01-08, 02:34 PM
    9. 25-01-08, 01:52 AM
    10. 16-01-08, 03:25 PM