Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Like Tree5Likes

Beware of bogus Sky TV warranty letters/telephone calls.

This is a discussion on Beware of bogus Sky TV warranty letters/telephone calls. within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I got bombarded with these letter - I must admit I was suspicious where they got the information from because ...

paul7285 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Beware of bogus Sky TV warranty letters/telephone calls.

I got bombarded with these letter - I must admit I was suspicious where they got the information from because I got got my first one just as my sky warranty was ending - is it any coincidence that my system was installed by a local firm contracted by sky to do the fit?

I take a different tact - I mounted all of these letters up (about 12 of them). put them in seperate envelopes with the address of the company on, and posted every one of them without a stamp...

2. Advertisement
      reech is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Penn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The recent Domestic & General one, which I received this morning, is apparently the only legit one

redvet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I received a phone call regarding insurance for my Sky+ from one of these organisations. It was no problem to get rid of them but the thing that concerned me most is where they got my phone number from. I have only very recently moved and the only people at that time that were aware of this new number where Sky themselves !!! I had a Sky engineer visit shortly after moving and he had the number obviously (given by Sky) . So I am thinking that either Sky have released my number or the Engineer has a hook up with one of these companies.

juhauk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Southbank
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Aaagh, I think I have been had. I received a call from a very friendly lady, who insisted that she was calling from Sky. I asked her to confirm this several times. She said Sky has decided to lower the 8.25 warranty fee to 5 and that this was only offered to some customers over the phone. I should have smelled the rat when she could not give any other details than my name. Of course Sky gives our subscriber data to other companies unless you especially opt out (there was a small notice of this in a letter attached to Sky magazine a while back).

So this lady insisted she needed my sort code and account number as they could not change an existing direct debit and would send a letter for me to sign again. Now luckily I just checked that a new direct debit had been opened to my bank to SATCOVER LTD due to start on Tuesday. I have now canceled the direct debit, I guess best to call the bank tomorrow as well.

I am furious at myself, as I had read about these things and am always wary of giving my details on the phone. But the lady insisted at least three times that she indeed worked for Sky.

Anything else that I should do, I suppose I should tell Sky that this company is now actually impersonating as Sky themselves... Anybody else had this variation of the scam?

Godzilla is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke (THBZ)
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Humax FreesatHD
      Thanks

I came across this thread after Googling SATCOV08716 641400, which is the reference number of my Direct Debit for 6-50 a month. As I have recently retired, I can no longer afford the luxury of unnecessary outgoings, so I was trying to find the firm concerned so I can cancel the cover.

I have had this since November 2004, having been contacted when my Sky warranty was about to expire. They did not claim to be Sky, but certainly said they were endorsed by Sky - which now appears to be incorrect.

Anyway, the purpose of this post is to reassure anybody who has this cover that as far as I can tell, this is a legit maintenance organisation (albeit with highly questionable marketing methods). A couple of years ago we had a serious problem with our Sky system and called Sky Customer Services. After a few checks, they said the fault was in the box itself and offered to arrange for an engineer to come and sort out the problem (at a significant cost of course). I told them I was covered by Satellite Direct and would use them. The Sky service agent seemed to be aware of them and was OK about it.

To cut a long story short, I called Satellite Direct on their Customer Service number and an engineer arrived the next day. He spent quite a while checking the dish, LNB, cabling etc before establishing it was the box itself that was faulty. He then offered us the choice of fitting a free refurbished box he had in the van or a brand new latest spec box at a discounted price, which we accepted. Everything was fine and we were only charged the cost of the box.

Nevertheless, now I know the history of this firm, I shall cancel the agreement immediately and take my chances in future.

Thanks for bringing all this to my attention.

Keith

dragon99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

further to this story, i have just recieved a letter followed by a phone call from this company using a different phone number 0871 265 9865. iassume this is the same company as in the original story.

DSWCMICK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dragon99 View Post
      further to this story, i have just recieved a letter followed by a phone call from this company using a different phone number 0871 265 9865. iassume this is the same company as in the original story.
      hi guys

i am an employee of digital satalight warrenty cover ltd and have seen some real bad things posted on hear about us. We are not part of sat cover or any other company that has changed its name in the past! We are DSWC Ltd and are the biggest warrenty provider in the u.k for sky digital equipment. We do not rip you off, we provide a service. most of are customers are happy with what we provide and you are not forced to take cover out. Are call center is based in kirkby in liverpool and yes we do cold call. I understand that people do get annoyed by letters and also phone call's but at the end of the day if you say to the agent that is calling you that you want the details removed from the system, Please just ask nicely....

At the end of the day every body is there to make a living and not to con you out of your hard earned cash. If you have any questions about us then drop me a message. I have only been there for a month now but i know the ins and outs of the company and the background...

thanks mick

P.S im sorry if my spelling is awfull!

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Hi Mick

Welcome to SkyUser!

Could you answer the following?

1) Where do you get the customers' details from - is it Sky?

2) Are Sky happy for you to provide such cover? ie Have they ever asked you not to, in a friendly or unfriendly way?

3) When sales people ring customers, do they make it abundantly clear, that you are definitely not Sky? - That seems to be a major bug bear, as in people believe you are Sky (or whichever company cold calls, with a similar warranty offer)

We are not here to judge you or your company, SkyUser as a website, believes in letting people post what they want, even if it is good or bad, so as to help other members / guests.

If you wish to put the record straight on any of the existing posts in here, feel free.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

I don't know about this company but an awful lot of data is sold by councils to companies off the electoral register.

It costs about 1.50 + VAT for 1000 names and addresses and they are allowed to do this by law.

This is why I moved onto the edited register as that part of the register is heavily controlled by law as who is allowed to access it.

Since I did that the amount of junk mail and calls have dropped big time.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

DSWCMICK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Hi Mick

Welcome to SkyUser!

Could you answer the following?

1) Where do you get the customers' details from - is it Sky?

2) Are Sky happy for you to provide such cover? ie Have they ever asked you not to, in a friendly or unfriendly way?

3) When sales people ring customers, do they make it abundantly clear, that you are definitely not Sky? - That seems to be a major bug bear, as in people believe you are Sky (or whichever company cold calls, with a similar warranty offer)

We are not here to judge you or your company, SkyUser as a website, believes in letting people post what they want, even if it is good or bad, so as to help other members / guests.

If you wish to put the record straight on any of the existing posts in here, feel free.

1) The details are passed over from sky when you first sign up to there service, this is what i have been told.... and can not see another way that we would get sky users details as we never call people who have changed to virgin media or never had sky.

2) sky have never asked us to not provide cover to customers as all are engineers are sky trained, so all of the repairs that we do are 100% genuine.

3) when we call customers we start the call with " Hi my names ..... and i am calling from DIGITAL SATALIGHT WARRENTY COVER LTD regarding your sky digital service" so we do comply with the DPA. I and all the people that i work with are not allowed to say that we are sky as we a regulated by the FSA and they could shut us down.

There are some people out there who are trying to scam sky users but we dont. we explain that we are not sky in the first few words of the call.

I dont understand how people get confused with thinking we are sky, But it does happen. many times i have had to correct people and say that we were not sky.

any ways guys hope this helps

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 24-11-08, 08:42 AM
    2. 17-09-08, 04:11 PM
    3. 22-05-08, 01:59 PM
    4. 22-05-08, 12:14 PM
    5. 28-03-08, 07:40 PM
    6. 12-03-08, 11:12 PM
    7. 31-01-08, 02:44 PM
    8. 31-01-08, 02:34 PM
    9. 25-01-08, 01:52 AM