Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Like Tree5Likes

Beware of bogus Sky TV warranty letters/telephone calls.

This is a discussion on Beware of bogus Sky TV warranty letters/telephone calls. within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I also had one of these letters in the post yesterday, two infact because my surname is spelt in a ...

staffsfc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Nuneaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Beware of bogus Sky TV warranty letters/telephone calls.

I also had one of these letters in the post yesterday, two infact because my surname is spelt in a couple of ways. What I would like to know is where they have got my details from, are Sky selling account details ?

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

As promised here is the new letter they are sending out:

It is remeniscant of an old con where somebody will send out something that looks like an invoice and people will pay it without checking it first, they seem to be getting bolder and bolder in their tactics.

As to where they get your name address etc the trouble is they can get them all over the place.

I am rabid about my name and address ever since I got my identity stolen by a bank employee, and the 1st I knew about it was when a credit card with 9000 credit appeared one morning.

Only after a lot of shouting and moaning did the bank eventually admit to one of its employees doing this to me and to about andother dozen people, so after that I am really careful about my identity and I even get this stuff still.

One thing is to make sure that all companies that you deal with have you down as no to 3rd party marketing.
      Also make sure that you are on the restricted electoral register otherwise your council can sell your name and address to anybody they want to, the restricted one is the ones that credit check agencies etc can look at but all the uses of that part of the register is very strictly controlled by law.

The trouble is that if one lot breaks the rules you will find that your name will get propagated quickly all over the place. I tend to put down occasionally the pets names for stuff like brouchures and that I request and it's amazing how many bits of mail you'll get for the budgie.
      Last edited by Undecided Adrian; 16-02-08 at 06:23 PM. Reason: link fixed

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I request and it's amazing how many bits of mail you'll get for the budgie.
      That's beacuae you are always signing up to Cheap stuff.

Kirkby is about 20 minutes from me, I may and go and have a look at their registered office.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Bull is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hello, new to the site but just typed satcov08716 in to google and your site popped up.

After some investigation I am paying Sky Repair Plan 8.25 and then this month pops up the above code for 10.

Realised I had been hoodwinked by this company so cancelled the direct debit immediately. Told the bank the situation and how embarrassed I was for allowing it to happen. The bank said not a problem and they will investigate and refunded me the 10 back!!!

I told them it was my stupid fault but they said no under the data protection act they should not be getting hold of my information, therefore they want to find out how this company knew I was with Sky and when my renewal for the insurance was due.

Totally gobsmacked that a bank would want to do this. Sky were not interested as they were still getting my money for their insurance plan. Go figure!!!

audioslim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Failsworth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bull View Post
      and when my renewal for the insurance was due.
      They dont, they rang me the other week and said my Sky+ box is warranty is due to expire, at which point i said no it's not , the box is 5 years old and remove my information from your system.

Not heard from them since, but I'm pretty damn certain the only people who know my name, and the fact that I have a sky box is Sky, so conspiracy theories involving sky selling info, or sky having their customer base extracted in some way do come to mind.

Slim
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 06-03-08 at 03:40 PM. Reason: fixed quote tags

Anthonyuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: 36MB NowTV Fibre
      Router: Zyxel VMG1312-B10A/Opnsense
      Sky TV: NowTV Stick
      Thanks

Can somebody please confirm.

As I have been using these since January. (for some reason I agreed to 5 per month warranty and for February they took 6.50) I will be looking for March's payment which is due the 14th.

But when people say its a scam do they solely mean because its not directly from Sky.

If my box/dish breaks will this company actually send someone to come and repair it?.

If so then I can't see too big of a problem with this company offering what it does. If the box/dish knackers and they refuse to fix them. Then I have a problem!.

Anthonyuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: 36MB NowTV Fibre
      Router: Zyxel VMG1312-B10A/Opnsense
      Sky TV: NowTV Stick
      Thanks

I telephoned up Sky to inquire if everything was alright (As I say I would be happy in the knowledge that if my dish/box knackered they would send someone to come and fix it).

But from Sky I got an Indian lady who quite clearly did not even understand what I was talking about nevermind giving me any reliable answers (its times like this that I hate Indian call centers).

She guaranteed me though the company would definitely come and fix them as they are an insurance company (clearly though she was just fobbing me off as she said she did not know who they were).

Can somebody confirm that if anything goes wrong they will fix things, if so I will be happy.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Reading the Blog linked in this thread, there appears to be a lot more bad than good.

Give them a ring and say your box has switched itself off and see if they come out. If they do, when they get there, just tell them it has just miraculously come back to life, about 3 minutes before they arrived.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

gabbyevs is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01268
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i get these letter alot and once had a phone call

she said my warranty had just run out-i said not it hadnt ive had this box for 2 years

she then asked me wot package i was on i said are u from sky?

yes she said -well you should already know then shouldnt you!

and she then put the phone down

mimiandotti is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 3702074
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
      Please take note of the following warning!!

A company named 'Digital Satellite Warranty Cover Ltd' is currently targeting consumers with the following statement either by telephone or by mail.

"URGENT NOTICE - Your Sky Digital Satellite System Warranty Is Due To Expire - Call 0871 423 7974 without delay"

If you receive a letter from this company or any other company stating this or words to similar effect, either ignore it and dispose of it or forward it to your local trading standards office for them to investigate.

It's also possible they may call you prior to sending you this letter from a Merseyside telephone number 01515 475250. If you happen to receive a call from this number or any company purporting to be offering Sky Satellite System warranties decline their offer and hang up, your better off ringing Sky if you need such a warranty.

A copy of such a letter looks like this -

I wish I had seen this before, as I have unfortunately signed up for 12 months with this lot. I did report them to Sky, as they should not be pretending to be a Sky company. Does anyone else have any experience with them? Can anyone recommend any action here?

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 24-11-08, 08:42 AM
    2. 17-09-08, 04:11 PM
    3. 22-05-08, 01:59 PM
    4. 22-05-08, 12:14 PM
    5. 28-03-08, 07:40 PM
    6. 12-03-08, 11:12 PM
    7. 31-01-08, 02:44 PM
    8. 31-01-08, 02:34 PM
    9. 25-01-08, 01:52 AM
    10. 16-01-08, 03:25 PM