Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
    Like Tree5Likes

Beware of bogus Sky TV warranty letters/telephone calls.

This is a discussion on Beware of bogus Sky TV warranty letters/telephone calls. within the Sky & Sky+ TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; If you tell them that you work for Sky, it seems to get through and the calls stop. They did ...

Woodster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01442
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Beware of bogus Sky TV warranty letters/telephone calls.

If you tell them that you work for Sky, it seems to get through and the calls stop. They did for me!!

2. Advertisement
      johnrankine is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I have just experienced another disturbing side to this. I had a genuine warranty with Sky Digital Services that I have called upon so I know its genuine. This evening I received a phone call purportedly from them ( I am ex-directory) from a well spoken young man telling me that my payments were being reduced because I hadn't made a claim (wrong). He referred me to my Natwest Visa card starting 4571 that I had used to make my payment. When I pointed out that number was wrong he asked if I had had a new card since I started the policy and when I said yes he asked for the new details. Smelling a rat by now I asked if this was for a renewal. He said 'No, we are reducing your monthly payments'. When I pointed out that I don't pay monthly he hung up immediately. Of course the number was witheld. I rang the office number on my policy document and a recorded message told me that the number was no longer in service. I then rang the claims number where I got a message welcoming me to Sky. It then went on to say that if I needed to make a claim for repair press 1 but if I wanted to speak to the company press 2. I pressed 2 and got another message referring me to the FSA. It would appear that this genuine company has gone under and one of their employees is using the data to scam people or has sold it on. You have been warned.

ryeates is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01707
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Shore Brokers called today they knew nothing about my sky box which one I had and all they wanted was money. Listened to the lady on the phone for 5 mins trying to sell me insurance just told her was not interested and if the box went wrong my cousin works for sky and can get me a new box at cost she then hung up on me.
      no sale.
      BR
      R

Sky broadband good for back up but you cant beat Vigrin 100mb

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,233 Times in 2,099 Posts

There is no date on this message, but I have found a statement on the sky Website today regarding some of the bogus calls:

Data Protection | DSWC legal proceedings notification
      Digital Satellite Warranty Cover: suspected theft and misuse of Sky customer information

Sky would like to make customers aware of action it is taking against a number of individuals for the alleged theft and misuse of Sky customer information. The action relates to the activities of a satellite warranty company, Digital Satellite Warranty Cover, which was forced into provisional liquidation by the High Court last year, at the request of Financial Services Authority (FSA).

It is believed that DSWC unlawfully obtained the names, addresses, phone numbers and installation dates of Sky customers. DSWC then used this information in order to contact customers and sell extended service plans for Sky satellite television equipment.

While these allegations are very serious, and we are very sorry about what happened, we would like to reassure customers that there is no risk of financial loss. The value of this information was that it could be used for marketing purposes. No bank details, account numbers or passwords were involved in the alleged theft and there is no financial risk to customers.

We have already contacted all those customers who had policies with DSWC to ensure they were not left out of pocket by the company’s liquidation. If you had a service plan with DSWC at the time the company went into liquidation, we will support your service requirements as set out in the letter we sent you.

The only warranty service endorsed by Sky is Sky Protect, which is run with our approval by an independent company, Domestic & General. If you're contacted by a company claiming to offer a Sky service plan or insurance or to be calling on behalf of Sky or Domestic & General, here's what to do:

Ask for the name of their company and the plan they offer (if they are not from Domestic & General and offering Sky Protect, they are not officially approved or endorsed by Sky)

Ask them to confirm your Sky account number, your box type and when you first subscribed to Sky (only Sky Protect will have these details)

You can also find this advice here: Sky Protect - beware of unofficial competitors offering Sky insurance or warranties

For more than a year, Sky has pursued legal action against DSWC and a number of associated individuals for misuse of data, passing off and trade mark infringement. As soon as we uncovered evidence of suspected theft, we alerted the Police and the Information Commissioner's Office immediately.

There is now a formal criminal investigation under way, led by the City of London Police. A number of arrests have been made, including an individual who used to work at Sky. Once the police investigation is concluded, we will have a better understanding of the scale of the suspected theft.

Please be assured that protecting customer information is a priority for Sky and we take data security very seriously. Data theft is a crime and we will always seek the strongest penalties against people who steal or misuse customer information.

If you would like to contact us about this issue, or have any information which you would like to share with us, please email: dp.department@bskyb.com or call 08442 411965.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

marty2014 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Trafford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

I remember seeing a few posts relating to this issue on the official Sky Help Forum prior to getting Sky Protect from D & G.We received two calls,both times my credit card details we asked for,this I never give if they have called me.The second caller was offering 12 months for the price of 10 months which was only available from him.So I asked for his number which he didn't give so I ended the call.I gave Sky CS a quick call and explained what happened.Anyway I ordered Sky Protect online through my Sky account which I feel was the safest way to order as all my details are already in put.Thanks Sky you saved me from a lot of hastle and earache(only joking about the earache)

joe pineapples is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLBAL. (Balby)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Had lots of these sort of calls, but got one today from Home Systems UK, who almost immediately asked me to confirm my sky password was xxxxxx. and to be honest I couldn't remember it anyway, though the one he gave me did ring a bell. I didn't confirm anything of course, and he carried on into his sales pitch anyway saying they were affiliated with Sky (or some such claptrap). I phoned Sky, changed my password just in case (though the one he gave wasn't it anyway), and have informed the police (as advised by Sky).
      Scubbie likes this.

Rizla is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Insolvency Service - Press Releases - 36-year ban for Merseyside directors for unlawful use of Sky customer database

Three directors from Merseyside have been disqualified for a total of 36 years for unlawfully obtaining and using Sky’s confidential customer database and misleading people by suggesting a connection to the broadcaster.

Bernard Freeman (70), Paul Marrow (54) both of Liverpool and Michael Sullivan (45) of Southport, were disqualified for 12 years each, following an investigation by the Insolvency Service after legal proceedings by the Financial Conduct Authority (“FCA”) and Sky.

All three men have given undertakings to the Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills not to act as company directors or take part, directly or indirectly, in the promotion, formation or management of a company until 2025.

The investigation found Digital Satellite Warranty Cover Limited (“Digital”) and Nationwide Digital Satellite Warranty Services Limited (“Nationwide”) sold warranty cover to Sky customers for the maintenance and repair of satellite equipment. The companies went in to liquidation on 31 January 2011 with debts in excess of £12million after the FCA presented winding up petitions.

The two companies carried out their business by obtaining and using confidential customer information. Although Mr Freeman was the only formally appointed director of the companies, the Official Receiver also considered that Mr Sullivan and Mr Marrow acted in the capacity of directors.

When questioned about the source of the confidential customer information, Mr Freeman, and Mr Sullivan provided false and misleading explanations to investigators.

At the time, Mr Marrow was subject to a previous eight-year disqualification order which commenced in April 2003 and as such ought not to have had any directorship involvement with a limited company.

Commenting on the disqualifications, Ken Beasley, Official Receiver at the Insolvency Service’s Public Interest Unit, said:

“Mr Freeman, Mr Sullivan and Mr Marrow were all responsible for unfair trading practices. They obtained valuable customer data that they acquired illegally from Sky’s confidential databases.

“Customers were also misled by the companies’ use of the Sky brand in marketing material that falsely suggested the companies were linked to and authorised by Sky.

“The 12-year disqualifications send a message that the Insolvency Service will take strong measures to remove from the business environment, individuals who engage in such dishonest trading activities”.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rizla For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (18-10-13)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,233 Times in 2,099 Posts

Thanks for posting this Rizla.

As for the 12 year disqualification being a deterrent, I am sorry but I regard that as a joke.

Anyone who has seen series such as Nationwide, Rogue Traders or Cowboy Builders will know that they totally ignore things like that and get a new firm established using someone else's name all the time.

The old way to deal with such cases is to cease all their assets and lock them up for a long period of time.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Rizla (18-10-13)

Rizla is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

It does seem totally inadequate doesn't it?

There still may be ongoing criminal proceedings and DPA ones that can't be commented on in that release perhaps, but seems very quiet on that front?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It doesn't say where they actually obtained the data base. Makes you wonder how safe our details are with Sky.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 24-11-08, 08:42 AM
    2. 17-09-08, 04:11 PM
    3. 22-05-08, 01:59 PM
    4. 22-05-08, 12:14 PM
    5. 28-03-08, 07:40 PM
    6. 12-03-08, 11:12 PM
    7. 31-01-08, 02:44 PM
    8. 31-01-08, 02:34 PM
    9. 25-01-08, 01:52 AM
    10. 16-01-08, 03:25 PM