Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Communal Dish - Poor signal. Reduced subscription??

This is a discussion on Communal Dish - Poor signal. Reduced subscription?? within the Sky / Sky+ / Sky+ HD forums, part of the Joining or leaving Sky category; Hello all, I have recently moved into a new (rented) property. It is a listed building and has a communal ...

nl74 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: strood
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Communal Dish - Poor signal. Reduced subscription??

Hello all,

I have recently moved into a new (rented) property. It is a listed building and has a communal dish and just the one feed.

Since moving in I have had a poor signal, changing to single feed mode helped a bit (with picture breakup) but on a lot of channels including sky 1 sky atlantic I have no signal strength at all showing and whilst it locks the picture breaks down a lot. On other channels I have about a 1/4 signal strength. I had the engineer out that installed the communal dish and he explained that they were forced to install it lower than they wanted to to keep it out of sight and whilst he replaced all my internal cables there was nothing more he could do. Given that I pay Sky 60 a month for TV this has given me a decision to make as I am paying full price for what is nowhere near the full service. It is not Sky's fault, it's not mine either but there seems to be nothing that can be done. I am going to give it a few weeks but my gut feeling is I will cancel and go with freeview which is my only other choice right now.

I am wondering is there any precedent for a reduced subscription under such circumstances?

Thoughts appreciated?

Thanks

Neil

2. Advertisement
      Fryingpan77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shipley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Thanks
      I've not heard of a reduced subscription myself for problems like this, but when you ask to cancel your subscription, sky usually come back with a better offer. Its a question whether you could live with missing channels and picture break up. Like anything, when you leave sky you will miss it, but when I moved in to a flat that couldn't get sky at all. You learn to live with free view and enjoy it non the less.

Sent from my ST18i
      With sky since 1997.

Woodster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01442
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Communal Dish - Poor signal. Reduced subscription??

Quote Originally Posted by nl74 View Post
      I had the engineer out that installed the communal dish and he explained that they were forced to install it lower than they wanted to to keep it out of sight and whilst he replaced all my internal cables there was nothing more he could do.
      The Height of the dish will have absolutely no bearing on the signal received, only poor alignment or poor line of sight will. If it's a line of sight issue, then the installer should move the dish. To be honest, i think he's spinning you a line cos he don't want to sort the dish!

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
      The Height of the dish will have absolutely no bearing on the signal received, only poor alignment or poor line of sight will. If it's a line of sight issue, then the installer should move the dish. To be honest, i think he's spinning you a line cos he don't want to sort the dish!
      There is a issue with satalite dishes on listed buildings. It has to be placed so it is not visible from a road or a place where people would complain. I live near Saltaire in Bradford and nobody is allowed to have a satalite dish in the whole village because of this. I have heard of people erecting concrete posts in their garden and attaching dishes to them to get round the problems.

Sent from my ST18i
      With sky since 1997.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It is hardly Sky's fault that the restrictions on your building mean the signal is not being received properly, but as suggested, if you threaten to leave due to below standard results, they may give you a good discount.

Another possibility for you and others in your position is Sky NowTV. When it is up and running you will only need a good internet connection, your location will not matter.
      How do I get Sky Now TV? - PC Advisor

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Woodster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01442
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Fryingpan77, That's not the point. The dish should still be sited where it works! I install large communal systems every day and have done for more than 15 years. The first thing you look for on a site survey is the dish position and any planning regulations / restrictions that may be an issue. If the dish is installed where it does not work, then the installers should sort it. It's their responsibility to ensure the system is performing within set parameters as set out in the CAI code of practice and other publications.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
      Fryingpan77, That's not the point. The dish should still be sited where it works! I install large communal systems every day and have done for more than 15 years. The first thing you look for on a site survey is the dish position and any planning regulations / restrictions that may be an issue. If the dish is installed where it does not work, then the installers should sort it. It's their responsibility to ensure the system is performing within set parameters as set out in the CAI code of practice and other publications.
      Don't get me wrong. I agree it should not be installed if no suitible location is available. Without knowing the layout of the property. Or whether the engineer just made the best of a bad job, we can't say for sure. If it is a case of bad workmanship, then he should definitely get back to the installer. If the dish has to be moved again and they find a suitable spot, Planing permission may be involved also and at a cost just for the request which would not guarantee aprovel. With it being rented acomadation. It would be down to the landlord to sort out. At the request of the tenants.

Sent from my ST18i
      Last edited by Fryingpan77; 24-05-12 at 06:07 AM.
      With sky since 1997.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Do you live in the old village or in the converted Mill? I'd assumed the old Mill could be easily supplied with satellite but in the village the streets are relatively narrow and the property relatively close together on a northerly facing incline (from memory!). All of which means installation of a dish might be a problem in a conservation area. None of this is your (or Sky's) fault and I'd personally give the installer a hard time. If it won't work it shouldn't have been installed. You need a clear view to the horizon at roughly the SE - do you have one anywhere within the boundary of the property meeting the height limit?

And as others say - Sky isn't just via a dish nowadays.