Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Woodster

Sky TV problems.

This is a discussion on Sky TV problems. within the Sky / Sky+ / Sky+ HD forums, part of the Joining or leaving Sky category; We have been having problems with our Sky TV. We have Sky+ HD and over the last few weeks we ...

Valiceemo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Holmfirth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky TV problems.

We have been having problems with our Sky TV.

We have Sky+ HD and over the last few weeks we have been frequently loosing signal.

When we do have signal it does not last for long and the picture starts to go all pixellated then basically disappears altogether and we get the ‘No satellite signal’ message.

It seems to be at random and doesn’t seem to be effected by the weather, i.e. it can be windy as hell outside and we have picture one minute, the next there is no wind and no picture, or visa-versa.

There are no structures blocking the dish.

I’ve rung Sky and the customer support was as helpful as ever…they will charge me £67 I think it was to come out and ‘see if they can fix it’…if we need a new dish or box even more money.

My ‘warranty’ (as sky describe it – its not!) expired 3 days prior to the phone call!!!!!

Now, we had this before and it was within warranty – the engineer came out, and basically the original installation was done half arsed and the cable was rubbing against the drain pipe causing it to wear / fray and so fail. The engineer that did the ‘fix’ said it wouldn’t last and was pretty much a quick fix but there was nothing more he could do, as it was a warranty job!?!

The symptoms we have now are pretty much identical but I cannot pay £67 pounds for some one to come and tack a cable to the wall!

The guy on the phone at sky said it actually sounds like a hardware fault (the box) but couldn’t (wouldn’t?!) give me a rice for a new box outside warranty, I guess a small fortune!

So basically, is there anything I can do to check or fix the problem, other than re-cabling myself, if that is the problem?

Sorry for the long, ranting post!

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Anyone?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Sky TV problems.

Since the STB is just over a year old, it is unlikely to be the Thomson model, but could you confirm this by looking at the back panel please? If you do have the Thomson model then the issue could be related to the PSU.

It is likely to be either the Amstrad DRX890 or the Amstrad DRX895.

I would check through the following:
      1. Is there any sign of corrosion on the F-Plugs or the Coax that feeds them?
      2. Could you unscrew each F-Plug (the feeds from your dish) and check that they are solid and that there is a short clean piece of the core showing from each of them. The sheave should be making good contact with the outer part of the F-Plug and not making any contact with the core
      3. Follow the coax through to the LNB on the dish. Make sure there are no sharp bends or kinks and that plastic cover of the coax is intact all the way and not opening the sheave to the elements
      4. At the LNB, check the F-Plugs in the same manner as you did on the STB end
      5. With regards to the dish, is it firmly fixed or slightly loose?
      6. Same with the arm that the LNB is on, it too should be firm and not moving

Once you have gone through all of the above, it may be worth swapping F-Plugs on the LNB to other ports.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Sorry for slow reply.
      Box is DRX890

Quick dumb question.
      What is STB and F-plugs?

Anyway, I've Taken the cables out and one was not straight. I noticed some 'crap' on the plugs also. I tried to take a picture.
      Would that cause a problem? How could I clean it up?

I swapped the cables and it seems ok, for now.
      It just seemed slow? As in the planner and guide took some time to show?
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sky TV problems.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1331934486.750881.jpg  

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

STB = Set Top Box (i.e. the Sky box)
      F-Plugs are the screw connectors used on Satellite cable connections. They are also used by Virgin Media as well.

If the 'crap' was green or damp, then you have water getting into the coax. This being the case, check the integrity of the cable and the LNB.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

STB, of course. Dumbass I am!
      Yes it was greeny.
      How can I clean it up?
      Will I need a new cable? Or can I use the existing one?

Woodster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01442
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

The cable will need replacing. Also, the LNB ,(electronic bit on the dish) is probably where the water is getting in so may be showing signs of failing. A new one will probably be be requiered. As the terminals on your STB are already green, you've more than likely got water in the STB so you will need a new one.
      Scubbie likes this.