Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Confused re Freesat

This is a discussion on Confused re Freesat within the Sky / Sky+ / Sky+ HD forums, part of the Joining or leaving Sky category; Hello, My 1st posting newbie to here. I an thinking of cancelling my basic Sky TV, Broadband and Telephone. I ...

avril3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01403
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Confused re Freesat

Hello,
      My 1st posting newbie to here. I an thinking of cancelling my basic Sky TV, Broadband and Telephone.
      I believe a sky email address is for life? could someone confirm if this is the case plse?
      I would like to replace the subscription with either Freesat or Freesat from sky but struggling to understand the difference.
      I have a Sky Plus box which I am thinking of changing for a Samsumg PVR which allows recording and pausing live tv?

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avril3 View Post
      Hello,
      My 1st posting newbie to here. I an thinking of cancelling my basic Sky TV, Broadband and Telephone.
      I believe a sky email address is for life? could someone confirm if this is the case plse?
      I would like to replace the subscription with either Freesat or Freesat from sky but struggling to understand the difference.
      I have a Sky Plus box which I am thinking of changing for a Samsumg PVR which allows recording and pausing live tv?
      Yep sky email is for life, it's in their FAQ somewhere.

If you want pvr functionality then freesat as opposed to freesatfromsky is prob the best bet. The sky route would give you more channels, but not anything decent.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Confused re Freesat

If you want the full integration of the Freesat EPG with the PVR then make sure you buy a PVR with the Freesat logo on the machine - if it doesn't have this logo then recording etc can be very much more complicated!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Confused re Freesat

As dms05 has stated, make sure that you get a Freesat box that can record from the satellites directly. These are known as Freesat+ and Freesat+ HD boxes.

Channel wise, there are a few differences, as well as other functions.

Different Channels? The main channels are available on both. Some of the lesser known or HD channels are only available on or the other. See these links below:

List of channels on Freesat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      Freesat from Sky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What do I mean by 'Other functions'?
      Many of the Freesat+ & + HD STBs will provide access to BBC iPlayer and some of the other players too. The Humax Foxsat also allows to you access it via a computer on your home network.

It hasn't been mentioned, but just to clarify, Sky & Freesat use the same group of satellites. It is the order of the channels that differs and the design of the EPG.

If you are prepared to pay ~15 per month, then you can have the record facility on your existing Sky+ STB enabled once you cancel your main subscription. This would allow you to continue to use the box to record & watch Free-to-view material. Since most Freesat+ STB are available for under 180, if you wanted to do this for more than a year, then a Freesat+ STB would be better value for money IMHO.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms