Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Trying to work out if my new flat has Sky...

This is a discussion on Trying to work out if my new flat has Sky... within the Sky / Sky+ / Sky+ HD forums, part of the Joining or leaving Sky category; Hello all, Hopefully someone can help me with what is probably a very basic question - I have just taken ...

marvelman1985 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: N/A
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Trying to work out if my new flat has Sky...

Hello all,

Hopefully someone can help me with what is probably a very basic question - I have just taken on a new flat but after receiving conflicting information from the letting agents I am a little confused.

Basically, the first agent told me the flat's block had a communal dish and may need me to contact a local operator of some kind. I rang Sky who said they could provide me with their service, and re-activated my subscription (I had previously cancelled less than 12 months prior) with a free home move.

In conversation with another agent from the same letting agent he informed me that there was no communal dish and it was Virgin service as far as he knew. Annoyed, I checked Virgin's website which states it cannot provide TV at my postcode, so I guess that guy was just plain wrong.

Anyway, I got the keys yesterday and found this aerial/dish point in the wall (see attached image) - there are three cables, and I know a Sky+HD box needs two to operate. Is the third a coaxial? Or are all three indeed for cable (as I know the V+/TiVo box from Virgin has three tuners)? Could anyone identify what these cables are from the photo?

I have asked the letting agent to double check with landlord again but whilst I am waiting for reply I thought I might ask some people who actually know!

Thanks for any help, much appreciated.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trying to work out if my new flat has Sky...-img_2716.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Trying to work out if my new flat has Sky...

The cables could be anything really, from Virgin to 1 FM radio, 1 terrestrial aerial and one dish connection. If there any evidence of a dish on the building? What do your neighbours have?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Oh dear, I see. Hmm. I didn't realise there where quite so many possiblities! Also hadn't grasped the possibility of there only being one satellite feed (which I understand limits the capability of the Sky+ service?) Bugger.

I have once again contacted the letting agent and requested the details of the 'management company' as they have referred to it, who I assume install/maintain the block system?

I won't be able to view the property again until the 30th (long distance move) so can't ask neighbours or inspect the exterior of the block

I would say the fact that the letting agent have told me about the above management company would confirm that there is a communal satellite system in place, but knowing these letting agents I will hold fire until I actually speak to someone on the phone.

Would the fact that Virgin's site told me I couldn't get TV or fibre optic bb (only their ASDL service) at my postcode at least rule out Virgin for one of the cables?

I am hoping for 1 terrestrial aerial connection and 2 satellite connections. Had no idea about FM radio sockets!

Thanks

Would the fact that Virgin's site told me I couldn't get TV or fibre optic bb (only their ASDL service) at my postcode at least rule out Virgin for one of the cables?
      I think it does. Their ADSL service just runs through a BT line, it does not use cable. With a bit of luck you will have the 2 dish connections and 1 aerial, but there is also the possibility that one of the cables just feeds through to a bedroom.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Fingers crossed then. I now have the numbers for two property management companies, Remus and Contactreal - don't suppose anyone has heard of these or know if they will even be able to help? (tried ringing but offices now closed for Xmas)

Thanks for your help so far Tom!

Thanks

I am now living in the flat and can confirm that the cable on the far right is a normal TV aerial feed for Freeview with an F connector and coupler (confused me) In the hope that as you suggested Tom the three cables = 1 aerial, 2 satellite I hooked up my Sky box fitting F connectors and couplers. Unfortunately, the Sky box reports that no signal is being recieved (my Sky TV sub is active) for both inputs.

Strangely, when I hover the aerial cable near what I assumed are the satellite feeds I can pick up Freeview on both. So in other words, it seems I have THREE aerial cables. Is this likely? What the hell?! Does Freeview+ require multiple feeds? Vision+? (Virgin not available)

I still haven't been able to talk to the person I need to at the property/block management company, but should do tomorrow. I have been told by the letting agent that Sky is available at the flat through communal dish. And in addition Sky have been happy to re-activate my sub.

I wish someone involved bloody knew what on earth the flat has!!

Thanks

Have you tried all the outputs in the Sky box? It is possible you have 2 freeview and one Sky connection. Twin tuner Freeview boxes are quite common, they do the same job as the Sky+ box, with Freeview only of course. It is also possible the Sky feed has been disconnected from the distribution box and fed to someone else to give them a twin connection for Sky+.

Do you have an output in any of your bedrooms?

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Sorry for the delay - finally getting some answers now...

To answer your questions, yes I tried all three cables in both Dish Inputs on my Sky box to no avail Also, there is a aerial feed in the bedroom, not sure if this is related?

The stage I'm at now, the property management company have confirmed that there is a communal system in place for my block. However, it's clearly not working. After much to'ing and fro'ing between the landlord/letting agent and the property mgmt firm they have agreed to send an engineer to look at why it is not working, only after having written confirmation from the landlord that if he/a former tenant has damaged the feed somehow (which tbh seems the most likeliest) then he will pay the charges. Which is fair enough. (had the cheek to ask me to contribute several times though!!)

The only issue I have now is the property mgmt firm have confirmed that there is only ONE Sky feed, leaving me in the position of reduced functionality Sky+

I have asked about transferring a neighbour's feed, but have been told that...
      1. I must get permission from a neighbour plus their landlord if appropriate (difficult)
      2. I will have to pay the extra charge (fair enough)
      3. I must pay to reverse the operation when I move
      4. I must pay to reverse the operation at any time if requested by someone in the neighbouring flat

To be honest, I'm thinking Freeview+HD instead. Can't quite believe they are installing single feeds in new build blocks. Sky+ has been around a decade!!!

Incidentally Tom, I thought Freeview+ worked with one aerial feed, with the tuner/splitting business happening inside the box, as it were?

Thanks

Incidentally Tom, I thought Freeview+ worked with one aerial feed
      That's probably correct, although the twin Freesat boxes require 2 feeds, the same as the Sky box.

TomD

Useful Utilites