Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Whats makes a new customer?

This is a discussion on Whats makes a new customer? within the Sky / Sky+ / Sky+ HD forums, part of the Joining or leaving Sky category; Hi guys, Does anyone know for sure? One parent is leaving the house - the Sky was theirs (name and ...

itsanewlifeforme is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: New House - No TV
      Router: New house - no broadband
      Sky TV: Nothing yet
      Thanks

Whats makes a new customer?

Hi guys,

Does anyone know for sure?

One parent is leaving the house - the Sky was theirs (name and account) - and the cancellation has been put in a week ago. Existing Sky will finally stop working in about 12 days.

I (son) now have to get a Sky package on my own name for the first time.

Question:

Am I classed as a 'New Customer' by sky and therefore for eligible for the 'family and friends discount'?

The property does have sky equipment - but in my parents' name, who has cancelled it and is leaving.

I have been given a code by a most amiable soul, and wish to apply for the 'friends and family discount', which will be a load off my shoulders.

However if Sky won't accept me as a new customer, it is only decent to return the code to my colleague, who can give it to another friend of their choosing.

Thanks if you have something to contribute,

itsanewlifeforme.
      Last edited by itsanewlifeforme; 18-03-11 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Grammar Correction

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Whats makes a new customer?

Personally I would be tempted to place the order and providing that you aren't going to be charged for a new STB or router, say that they were all taken with your parent. to their new home

This way you can always use them for backup purposes or perhaps a multi-room at a later date. The new equipment will also have new 1 year warranties too.

Keep them hidden from the installer's eyes though. It's been known for them not to leave the new STB with you if you have an existing one.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

itsanewlifeforme is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: New House - No TV
      Router: New house - no broadband
      Sky TV: Nothing yet
      Thanks

Thanks for your post Scubbie,

I am going to try, but I need to know if I would be classed as a new customer or not. Apparently the offer is only open to New customers and thid is where I am confused!

itsanewlifeforme.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

If you have not had a contract in your name with Sky before then you are a new customer.

Place the order as such and make no reference to the previous customer unless asked,it's not your problem.

At the end of the day, just because a member of your family has had Sky before makes no difference, you haven't.

As advised, put all the existing Sky equipment away, that doesn't belong to Sky anyway, get the new install with all the new customer benefits you are entitled too.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If it is being done at the same address with the same name and phone number, they may refuse. You may have to call and explain the situation. It might not happen in this case, but sometimes once you continue with an order by phone as opposed to online, all bets are off, together with any special offers.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

mattylad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCROSS
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I would also be tempted to remove the dish, that way you get a nice new one.