Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Taking a long holiday - reduce Sky subscription or cancel and rejoin?

This is a discussion on Taking a long holiday - reduce Sky subscription or cancel and rejoin? within the Sky / Sky+ / Sky+ HD forums, part of the Joining or leaving Sky category; Hi, I'd value some words of wisdom from more clued up Sky subscribers than me. I'm a Sky HD and ...

Arandora is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Poulton-le-Fylde
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Taking a long holiday - reduce Sky subscription or cancel and rejoin?

Hi,
      I'd value some words of wisdom from more clued up Sky subscribers than me. I'm a Sky HD and Sky+ Multi room user and will be going on an extended holiday from 1st December next for 5 months. Earlier this year when we were away for 3 months, I cancelled the multi room and HD part of my sub just keeping the Variety pack so I could leave the HD box to record some of my favourite series on Sky One, Ch4, 5 and FX. The HDD was more than full when we returned. For 5 months, particularly not knowing when the next series of my favourites will start and so being unable to set the timer for them, I'm wondering whether it is worth bothering and just cancelling the contract and setting up a new one when we return home - or any alternatives anyone might suggest.
      If I cancel and restart would we get new equipment, a good reason for this option - or is it, judging by some of the complaints I've read about HD boxes newer than my (fingers crossed) nearly 4 year old one?
      If it is a new installation, what happens to the old HD box? Presumably my current old (but replaced after failure) Sky+ box will remain. Do I get to keep it and use it as the multi room box for its extra HDD? Also could I arrange the new installation so far in advance to minimise our down time when we return home?
      Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Taking a long holiday - reduce Sky subscription or cancel and rejoin?

You keep your old box but be careful as you will not be classed as a new customer upon return unless you put the contract in another name. Upon return you may find a delay in getting the new HD subscription started up if you look to get a new box as there are delays in some areas in getting the new boxes out and installed due to demand.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I am pretty sure that you have to leave for more than 12 months to be classified as a 'new' customer. I know some have left and rejoined with a different name, alternate spouse for instance, it depends on whether you would be comfortable with this. This would get you a new box and depending on their condition, a new dish and wiring.

If you are not comfortable with what amounts to a small deception, phone Sky and ask them to suspend your service. If they can't do this tell them you wish to cancel and on your return get your service reinstated. If you do this make sure you give plenty of notice, as they are very good at extending notice periods to their advantage.

All the equipment you have, provided you have completed the minimum contract, belongs to you and you can do what you like with it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Arandora is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Poulton-le-Fylde
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks both. I think suspension makes the best sense.

nodrog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wskiw
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: sky hub SR102
      Sky TV: SKY+ HD 1tb box
      Thanks

if you cancel and get a re-install and get a new box then you get 12 months warranty and if anything goes wrong with the newer box after 12 months then you will have the old box as backup
      a friend of mine was accepted as a new customer because she had been away from sky for about 6 months

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
      if you cancel and get a re-install and get a new box then you get 12 months warranty and if anything goes wrong with the newer box after 12 months then you will have the old box as backup
      a friend of mine was accepted as a new customer because she had been away from sky for about 6 months
      Yes, she might have but she won't have told Sky that or else she didn't take a new customer deal and instead got an offer to reinstate.
      eg. at the moment you can get free sky+ if you had stb, free sky+HD if you had Sky+ or free Grade-A sky+HD if you had sky+HD when reinstating.