Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Speed better with OR modem?

This is a discussion on Speed better with OR modem? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello. Ive been having some issues with me speed on Sky Ultrafast. I'm using the Newer upright Sky router and ...

pavilion is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDFOL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Speed better with OR modem?

Hello.

Ive been having some issues with me speed on Sky Ultrafast. I'm using the Newer upright Sky router and after having some speed issues, BT attended and replaced something on the telegraph pole outside. The speed never recovered as dlm never rebalanced the line.. I suddenly remembered I have my OR modem in the drawer still from the early fibre days, so I dropped my router into WAN mode and hooked it up. The speed jumped by nearly 4meg! Why would this happen? It snot quite the 67 i used to get but its better. It suggests there is a speed restriction of some sort built into the Sky hubs. I think what im going to do is replace the router with my own one. I'm looking at a TP-Link AX50 or a TP Link Archer V2800.

2. Advertisement
      coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT-Fibre-900
      Router: opnSense-I78550-Fanless
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

Re: Speed better with OR modem?

I stuck with OR modem, all my time with Sky and Cuckoo. ALL ISP routers suck, end of.

pavilion is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDFOL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

lol yep. What do you think of the TP links? cant decide between the 2

coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT-Fibre-900
      Router: opnSense-I78550-Fanless
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

TP-Link certainly seemed to have improved in last few years, but I haven't used one since olden times when they were blocky silver boxes. TBH with the internet you're on I'd stick with cheapest options, no need for ax wireless etc. You can see my speed in my sig and I'm still using an old Asus rt-ac3200 as an airpoint and my phone can pull over 300Mbps, more than your line has to give, so ax would be overkill and still has a premium attached to it.

DON'T get a combined modem/router, even with graceful shutdowns, every time you wanna mess with the router you risk triggering DLM. At least using OR (or seperate) modem you can leave the connection synced and up and restart your router to your hearts content every time you want to fiddle with no risk of speed loss. My hard modded ECI OR modem allowed me to adjust the Snr to even get a little more speed and see proper connection details via LAN2.