Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Got an SR203, can no longer use ER110 as wireless access point

This is a discussion on Got an SR203, can no longer use ER110 as wireless access point within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; For the past few years I've been using an ER110 as my router, and have got a second one that ...

buddbuttocks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

Got an SR203, can no longer use ER110 as wireless access point

For the past few years I've been using an ER110 as my router, and have got a second one that I've been using as a wireless access point, via the Cat6 I've got running between floors.

A while back we got sent an SR203, I think as my wife called to cancel and was complaining about the wireless performance, but I never got round to plugging it in until now as I generally don't like messing with things once they're working. I thought I'd try it out today as the extra ethernet ports would be handy... and the wireless range is exactly the same, so I still need the secondary router for my IP cameras and doorbell. But it doesn't work now.

I've set it up exactly the same as I had before - both routers have different LAN IPs, DHCP is turned off on the secondary one, the WAN port on both is set to DSL only to avoid any WANoE confusion. I've tried wifi and ethernet using several devices, I've tried using a static IP, I've tried both of my ER110s, nothing works. Any ideas why? It's maddening. I also noticed that my PC was having trouble connecting via the old Sagem router I was using as a switch, so I don't think it's just the ER110s. But I've just bypassed that for now and haven't investigated any further.

One other thing I haven't tried is using the SR203 as the secondary router, but that somewhat defeats the purpose of this whole endeavour.

I've gone back to my old setup for now, and on an unrelated note - a while ago I noticed that the router stats on both show a small but slowly incrementing number of LAN collision packets. This seems to be something to do with the mesh networking, as it stops if I disconnect the ethernet and just let it run wirelessly. But I don't want this as I want it wired for Steam Link. Incidentally, if powerline is disabled and there's no ethernet, how are the routers discovering each other? It can't just be via Wifi as what's to stop them meshing with my neighbour's router? Are there any secret menus where I can turn meshing off, as I neither need nor want it? (don't have Sky Q or indeed any TV product)
      Last edited by buddbuttocks; 12-07-20 at 04:32 PM.

2. Advertisement