Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Best Solution

This is a discussion on Best Solution within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; OK, as you all know, Sky Hub's wireless performance is crappy to say the least, and with my home becoming ...

pavilion is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDFOL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Best Solution

OK, as you all know, Sky Hub's wireless performance is crappy to say the least, and with my home becoming more connected (Amazon Echo, Ring.com Video Doorbell, and Ring Stick up cam on the way) i want to either get rid of the Hub and use something else, or use another router to provide the wireless and just use the hub for the authentication to the sky network. I see that as a non q customer i can now get a Sky Q Hub anyway, however, i dont want this as its only got 2 ethernet ports. I'm thinking about getting a BT Home Hub 4 or 5? I think getting the new version 6 is a bit of overkill. Your thoughts please guys?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Best Solution

As you are on fibre you have to be careful what you buy. I am not sure whether the BT HH 4 or 5 can connect direct to Sky's internet, but you can use them piggy backed to the Sky router.

There is a fair number of routers you can use with Sky, which you will find here - http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...sky-fibre.html

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      As you are on fibre you have to be careful what you buy. I am not sure whether the BT HH 4 or 5 can connect direct to Sky's internet, but you can use them piggy backed to the Sky router.
      I did ring sky about getting a q hub, they said i have to pay 20 and lock into another year contract for bb! Dont really wanna go down this route tho, firstly for the only 2 ports on the back, and secondly, i dare say its got an unsheilded psu inside it?
      Last edited by pavilion; 09-12-16 at 01:47 PM.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

There appears to be two versions of the Sky Q hub, only one of which has an internal power supply.
      A network switch can be added to increase the number of Ethernet ports if two are not sufficient.

Thanks

thanks for that. i did used to have a network switch,, but i dont like the idea of boxes being all over the place with wires lol hmm ok, thank you for that, its gamble with sky, i have no idea what one im gonna get.

Thanks

The Q Hub is the best Sky have produced so far, better than the BT 4 and 5 hubs. As for using a switch you would be no worse off than piggy-backing a BT Hub on to the Sky Hub. Unless you want to leave Sky, jump at the offer of a Q hub for 20 you will not get better value anywhere.

With regards the built in PSU, I think this was blown out of proportion by the Youtube video. As I remarked at the time it was released it would have been a lot more believable if he had shown the real world 'improvement' his alteration made.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

The Q Hub is the best Sky have produced so far, better than the BT 4 and 5 hubs. As for using a switch you would be no worse off than piggy-backing a BT Hub on to the Sky Hub. Unless you want to leave Sky, jump at the offer of a Q hub for 20 you will not get better value anywhere.

With regards the built in PSU, I think this was blown out of proportion by the Youtube video. As I remarked at the time it was released it would have been a lot more believable if he had shown the real world 'improvement' his alteration made.
      thank for replying. The only reason why i chose a bt home hub was because of their excellent wireless service. Only thing that bothers me with the Q hub, and hopefully you'll know. Can i turn off the 5ghz band. I dont require it, and TBH i dont like the idea of radio waves that high in the frequency spectrum being in my home.

cheers again for replying very much appreciated

Thanks

I suppose may be able to disable the 5Ghz band but in doing so you are dispensing with the AC wireless which is much faster than that available in the 2,4Ghz band. Someone with a Q Hub would have to say if it is possible.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

thanks for the advice. Took it, and spoke with Sky. They said they would send me a Sky hub 3.0, which wasnt the sky q hub, but is the same, it arrived today, and it is the sky q hub. Despite all the videos ive seen with it have a figure of 8 lead, they sent me with with the external psu! great stuff!