Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Urgent, will a 3rd party router work with this method?

This is a discussion on Urgent, will a 3rd party router work with this method? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, I have had my DG934G with Sky Broadband for 3 years so it is out of warranty. I am ...

Victiniworth is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Urgent, will a 3rd party router work with this method?

Hi, I have had my DG934G with Sky Broadband for 3 years so it is out of warranty. I am about to buy a third party router from my local computer store, however my situation is somewhat unique (apologies for the bizarre nature of my question).

I suffer from extremely severe mental illness (OCD in particular) which pretty much disables me in every aspect of my life. Please note that due to this I cannot actually touch my current sky router which is why i want to buy my own.

I am moving house next week. The property is already set up to go with sky. I have changed my address over with sky and the activation date for the new property is the 19th of this month. However, I cannot take my old router with me and I cannot afford the 70 theyre charging for a new one. Plus, I find it almost impossible to open the door to the post man to take a delivery (due to my symptoms).

I understand that I need my ADSL Sky credentials from the original router. I currently do not have access to a PC to use a packet analyzer software. Right now I am rooting my android device to try out various packet sniffer apps on there instead.

So, If I manage to extract my ADSL credentials, am I right in saying that this is ALL I NEED to get a new third party router up and running?

I have read several times that this will only work if the third party router is capable of "mac spoofing" but I am a novice to all of this and will need it explained to me like I am 6. What am I supposed to be looking for in the specs of a third party router, so that I know it won't be a waste of money?

Finally and very importantly, the reason I can't touch my sky router is because I perceive it to have become "contaminated" (OCD) and so I need to THROW IT AWAY ASAP (my boyfriend will do that for me). I want to know if I will have to connect anything to it at all, like, will I have to connect the third party router to it in some way or anything? Or can I just throw it away as soon as I have extracted my credentials? All of this is pointless if I have to physically let anything touch the old sky router.

Will the activation of Sky Broadband at my new property be made impossible by the fact that I want to start it off with a third party router rather than a Sky one???

Thank you so much for your understanding, I am really distressed about this. If I don't get this problem sorted, I face being without internet for up to 2 months. Seeing as I am housebound by my illness, it is extremely isolating and frightening to go without internet for so long.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Urgent, will a 3rd party router work with this method?

Have you tried contacting Sky's Accessibility team? They are very good at dealing with users with a disability. Contact them at https://accessibility.sky.com/contact-us

As you have a very old router I am fairly sure they will replace it for you, foc., or with a large discount. Try them first before you splash out on a new router.

If you are unsuccessful, come back to us and we will give you a tutorial in setting up your own router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for your advice but I am unable to take postal deliveries so really the only way for me is to buy my own from a local shop. Please may I have guidance in the setup of my own router?

Thanks

First you will need a suitable router. It must have a built in ADSL Modem. As you are buying locally these are available from PCWorld/Currys.

They cheapest basic wireless type- Buy TP-LINK TD-W8968 Wireless Modem Router | Free Delivery | Currys

A bit more expensive but with AC dual band and gigabit ports. Buy LINKSYS X6200-UK Wireless Modem Router | Free Delivery | Currys

These are just 2 of the many that will work with Sky.

The next thing to gather is your log in details from your existing Sky router. To do that go here - Sky BB Pasword Calculator enter the LAN address of your router and the serial number printed on the label on the router. The router must be examined physically to obtain these so this may have to be done by your BF. When you have obtained these copy them to a document for later use.

When you receive the new router, enter its setup pages and enter the following -
      Encapsulation ........PPPoA
      Username .............It will be in the form of your LAN address followed by @skydsl (<LANaddress>@skydsl)
      Password..............Random collection of characters obtained from the password tool.
      VPI......................0
      VCI.....................38
      MTU....................1500
      Multiplex..............VCMux

That is all you need to get on line but you should change the wifi password to one of your choosing as soon as possible.

Finally I would advise you to retain your old router to connect at your new address as if there are any problems Sky will insist on you using their router. When your connection is confirmed you can set up your new router and put the old one into storage, in case it is needed in the future.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thank you so much for this detailed response! I'm so grateful I hear what youre saying about Sky not helping me unless I have one of their routers, and maybe I can look at ordering one in a few months when my finances are better.. but for now taking the old router is absolutely not an option. Are you sure that (providing there are no problems Sky's end), first time setup at the new address doesn't NEED to be a sky router?

Thanks

Provided the new router is set up properly, it should work OK at your new address. As I said the only problem is if there is anything wrong, maybe with the line, Sky may insist you plug in their router. Although Sky do not now object to you using your own router, they will not supply support.

If you get the new router working with your present line, there should not be a problem on the new one.

I still think you should try for a replacement router from Sky. If you explain your difficulties to them I am fairly sure they could arrange delivery of the router to an alternate address, maybe your boy friend's.

TomD

Useful Utilites