Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree5Likes

Sky Broadband UK Finally Offers Sky Q Hub Router to Existing Customers

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband UK Finally Offers Sky Q Hub Router to Existing Customers within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; ISPreview now confirms my earlier post that non-Sky Q customers can now order the new Sky Q Hub (apparently the ...

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Sky Broadband UK Finally Offers Sky Q Hub Router to Existing Customers

ISPreview now confirms my earlier post that non-Sky Q customers can now order the new Sky Q Hub (apparently the price shows as £99 but drops to £59 when ordered):

Sky Broadband UK Finally Offers Sky Q Hub Router to Existing Customers - ISPreview UK

Sky (Sky Broadband) has today officially confirmed to ISPreview.co.uk that any existing customer who wish to buy the new Sky Q Hub broadband router can do so by paying a one-off fee, which means that you don’t have to take out a Sky Q TV bundle in order to get it.

We first learnt about this earlier in the week after one of our sources informed us that Sky had started to supply the new router to non-Sky Q subscribers from last Friday. Apparently existing Sky Broadband customers can add the router for a fee of £59 (plus £6.95 for delivery).

On top of that we understand that new Sky Broadband customers can also now choose the Sky Q Hubas part of their package / order, albeit for a reduced fee of £20 (otherwise you’ll still get the old Sky Hub[SR102] router for free).

Existing customers have been asking for the option to take the Sky Q Hub with Sky Broadband since Sky Q was first launched earlier this year. One of the main reasons for that is because the existing Sky Hub (SR102) only supports 802.11n WiFi over the 2.4GHz band, which is woefully behind the competition, while the new Sky Q Hub supports 802.11ac and adds the 5GHz band.

However the new Sky Q Hub is still far from perfect, not least because for some unknown reason they only gave it 2 x Gigabit LAN ports instead of the standard four.

Sky Q Hub Specs

Physical connections

• 2x 10/100/1000 Mb/s Ethernet RJ45 port
      • 1x DSL port
      • Mains (Mains input 230V)

Connectivity

• Supports and automatically detects ADSL2+ and is backward compatible with ADSL
      • Supports and automatically detects VDSL2 and be backward compatible with VDSL to support Sky Fibre
      • Works dual band on 2.4GHz and 5GHz concurrently
      – 2.4GHz 801.11n is 2×2 MIMO – Back compatible with 802.11 b/g
      – 5GHz 801.11ac is 3×3 MIMO – Back compatible with 802.11n
      • Supports Powerline AV1.1 – only compatible with other Sky devices
      IPv6 support

Security

• Support WPA/WPA2 with WPA-PSK/AES and TKIP security
      • Support WPA2/AES

Power consumption / Power saving features

• “Network Standby” mode which uses less than 12W of power within twenty minutes of no use

Size

• Dimensions 211mm x 141mm x 34mm
      • Weight 0.45kg

Sky tells us that their customers can buy the new hub either over the phone or online (the option to select the Sky Q Hub comes at the bottom of the personalise your selection page when purchasing online). Existing customers just need to login and go to My Sky > Customise Your Package and then at the bottom they can select the Sky Q Hub, which is oddly listed as £99 but this drops to £59 when you add it.
      reddwarfcrew likes this.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to speedyrite For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (14-04-16)

3. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband UK Finally Offers Sky Q Hub Router to Existing Customers

Well I gave it a go. I can find the toggle to set Sky Q hub to Yes but it just immediately toggles back to No and doesn't change the basket.

Exchange:
      Thanks

seems to be working now. Don't forget there's 6.95 delivery on top. I haven't ordered just yet.

paulwigfield is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rock Ferry
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I don't know whether to order this for the £65.95 or order the TP-LINK Archer VR900 AC 1900 from amazon for £99. can someone help? if it was about £40 I would get it but at the price it is with only 2 ports I'm debating with the vr900 for a bit more. if I get the vr900 will I have a speed decrease slightly or will it sync at the same speed I have now?

Sky TV:
      Thanks

just ordered the sky q hub and within abut 30 mins its been dispatched. hopefully I will get it tomorrow so I have just spent half an hour fitting my switch as I have 4 devices connected via Ethernet. ps4, external hdd, dog cctv camera and youview box. if I couldn't find my switch I would probably of gone down the tp-link route.
      reddwarfcrew and Scubbie like this.

Paul2003 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leamington Spa
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paulwigfield View Post
      just ordered the sky q hub and within abut 30 mins its been dispatched. hopefully I will get it tomorrow so I have just spent half an hour fitting my switch as I have 4 devices connected via Ethernet. ps4, external hdd, dog cctv camera and youview box. if I couldn't find my switch I would probably of gone down the tp-link route.
      Dog CCTV camera? As in monitoring your dog? I have two Staffys and a GSD id love to see what they get up to on the odd couple of hours they get left alone now and again

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I got my new q hub, must say I'm only a little impressed. the 5Ghz is a bonus and I can get 38mb speed now on my phones and tablets but unfortunately my laptop only has 2.4Ghz, no matter what channel I have it on and can be right next to the router I only get 32mb. Also the 2 ports is a bummer. Although I'm going to stick with the router I would not recommend it as an upgrade for the £65.95. I think this should be around the £40 range.
      Paul2003 - the cctv I have for keeping an eye out on my dog is the Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW with a 2.8mm lens. Its a fantastic camera with a mic built in. It records onto a micro sd card, on a 64gb card I get about 2.5 days recording. It costs around £110.

Exchange:
      Thanks

My initial thought was that they would offer it for £40 so I'm holding off on the upgrade at the moment.

I'd prefer to have a proper Sky Router than have to mess extracting usernames etc and I certainly don't want a BTO Modem. Where mine will be sat also means it needs to look good unfortunately.

MagicBoy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRSTO
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Cheers, ordered!

Been waiting for 5GHz AC support for over two years. My MacBook Pro will be very happy!

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

How do you use this with an OR modem?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast