Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Faulty Q Hub

This is a discussion on Faulty Q Hub within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi New user here but needing some help. Made the stupid decision to take Sky Q which I was told ...

nbw877 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01443
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: er110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Faulty Q Hub

Hi

New user here but needing some help. Made the stupid decision to take Sky Q which I was told needed Sky Broadband. So BT Infinity was switched off at 11pm last night only to find the Sky Q hub faulty when installed (constant flashing amber power light). Despite Sky CS saying it is a line fault then changing their mind and saying a faulty router they say a replacement could be 3-4 days before being received (booked at midday today but still showing as processing). Appalling service but that's another matter. So, no broadband now for a few days which is rather an inconvenience, particularly as I run an online business from home

So, can anyone assist in a way to reset / reinstall the firmware on a Sky Q hub as the Recovery Tool does not work on either Windows or Mac. I'm guessing due to the Q Hub being too new and not selectable on the first screen of hub pictures/models.

Any assistance gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

PS I have an alternative Archer D9 router here but of course am unable to 'sniff' the username/password as the Q Hub is in permanent recovery mode

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nbw877 For This Useful Post:

Sebby (17-05-16)

3. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Faulty Q Hub

Hello ndw87 and welcome to the forum.

There is a recovery tool which Sky has produced. You could try downloading it and the firmware for the Q Hub.

Sky Help: Download the Sky router recovery tool

If it doesn't work with the Q Hub I'll pass this on. It would help to know which operating system you are using too.

As for connecting to Sky without a working Sky router, good luck. That's pretty much the same issue I had when I first joined the forums (mine wasn't delivered). Sadly you need a working router first.

If you happen to know someone with a Sky Hub SR102 (the black Sky Hub) to spare, you could borrow their router for a few days, at least until your replacement Q Hub arrives. So long as the haven't captured the log in details from it, it should work perfectly on your connection.

P.S. I've moved you post to a thread of it's own.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Thanks Scubbie

I can confirm that the recovery tool does not work with the Q Hub, and I assume because there is no option to choose the Q Hub as router type on the first screen. I have downloaded both the Mac and Windows versions and tried on both OSX 10.11.4 and Win8. No joy unfortunately.

Is there an updated tool or any other way to get the firmware for the Q Hub and upload it to the router? Unfortunately I do not know anyone else with Sky Broadband and now seriously wishing I ha stayed well away I don't think Sky know the meaning of Customer Service. Catalogue of errors since 0830 this morning with mis-diagnosis of problem and mis-information.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Consider it raised.

I won't expect an answer this evening. Hopefully tomorrow sometime.

In the meantime it could be that the earliest solution will be when you receive the replacement router.

Hopefully you should receive a slip to return your original Q Hub. Could I ask you to please ensure that the original Q Hub is returned so that someone can look at it to see what has happened. Thank you.

As for any potential compensation, I trust that you are using a mobile Internet connection at the moment. Let someone from Sky know so that you may be recompensed if there is an issue.

Sadly Sky's broadband products are aimed at the domestic market. Whilst there may be some compensation, it won't be in line with that which would be suitable for running a business from home.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Thanks Scubbie. If only the recovery tool supported the Q Hub.

You are correct I am currently tethering to my iPhone to try and maintain some form of normality for my online business (aero3d.co.uk). What has annoyed me is they will not even provide the details to allow me to use another router to get online or even allow me to buy another Sky router. Bt it is what it is. And absolutely I will return the faulty Q Hub, after all it is absolutely of no use to me
      Scubbie likes this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nbw877 For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (08-03-16)

Thanks

Well, new hub is on it's way but what a shower Sky are. Order placed 1207pm Tuesday and does not even get pre-advice sent to Royal Mail until 1740pm the next day. Shocking service. Sooner I get back to BT the better.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nbw877 View Post
      maintain some form of normality for my online business (aero3d.co.uk).
      Sky fibre broadband is a residential broadband offering much like BT infinity, so its irrelevant that is affecting any business activity.
      If you really need to have same/next day priorities critical to any business, then business broadband (available to residential premises) is for you. It is more expensive, but then offers business level service and priority.

Assume you have tried resetting yo sky router to factory settings, routers do lock up sometimes, mostly overtime, but may help.
      When calling sky q, do not forget to choose the sky q option, as sky q customers do have access to a premium dedicated team for help.

The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Anything
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre 100GB Trial Gold X
      Router: Sky Q Hub Mk7 Trial Gold
      Sky TV: SkyQ/Motorised
      Thanks

I believe Sky broadband of any form is not provided for business use only domestic usage only.

Quote Originally Posted by nbw877 View Post
      try and maintain some form of normality for my online business
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Realist View Post
      I believe Sky broadband of any form is not provided for business use only domestic usage only.
      Like they used to many years ago, its not really stipulated as such these days in any of the major isp T&Cs. It can be quite tricky to set solid ground rules.

Many people will bring their work home, work from home occasionally or have very small (part-time, charitable, sports clubs) businesses that could easily come under the residential umbrella in my view.
      May even have a small businesses office that they use within their house and use their residential broadband, pretty hard to distinguish. Think of an ebay seller or a podcaster.
      Most small business owners like plumbers, builders etc will probably check their emails, submit tax/VAT, insurance, documents etc. and use a residential broadband to do that, no need for a business broadband.
      Many devices these days, are dual use (residential/business), phones/tablets/paging etc and will connect through to a residential wifi, hard or pretty pointless to put a stop on that 'occasional' use.

Any respectable business that allows workers to work full-time at home would provide a business line or should do.

Running any form of mission critical business on a residential line would be foolhardy and you certainly would not get any business insurance or legality to cover any loss of earnings form running it that way.
      Probably too, running business servers/services that run through a residential broadband would not be looked at with any welcoming ease from an isp.
      Of course it would not be possible to install residential broadband in dedicated business premises.
      Last edited by lettice; 10-03-16 at 12:06 PM.

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post

Any respectable business that allows workers to work full-time at home would provide a business line or should do.
      I work for the UKs No 1 company in a certain industry (major ftse 100) and they removed business lines in 2014 to reduce costs and homeworkers have to rely on work mobiles to make calls and home broadband to access the network. They are happy to take the risk on any downtime and if it happened would expect staff to visit an office.

My Sky has gone down twice I think and I've had to rely on tethering to a MiFi device (which fortunately work pay for).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast