Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connecting Sky Router SR101 to Zyxel NSA325-V2 server

This is a discussion on Connecting Sky Router SR101 to Zyxel NSA325-V2 server within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; New to this forum so please bear with me if this is posted in the wrong place. I want to ...

Red998 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 020
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Connecting Sky Router SR101 to Zyxel NSA325-V2 server

New to this forum so please bear with me if this is posted in the wrong place. I want to access my Zyxel NSA325-V2 media server from outside my own network, in other words remotely whilst away from home.

I have searched umpteen forums for information on this but have found nothing that has helped. I guess I may need to use port forwarding or possibly dydns to acheive this, but I am not even certain of that.

Most of the guides that I have read assume prior knowledge that I don't currently seem to possess. Can anyone firstly point me in the direction I need to go to for connecting to my server remotely and secondly recommend a simple step by step guide that will help me achieve this.

I have spent countless hours during the last week trying to track down this information but none of it has got me anywhere. I tried to follow two port forwarding guides on this forum but neither are clear enough for me. I am now becoming quite disillusioned especially as others seem to have managed it but have not been clear as to exactly how they have gone about it.

I am OK with most computing basics and maybe a bit beyond but servers and routers are something I am totally unfamiliar with.

Any help very much appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Re: Connecting Sky Router SR101 to Zyxel NSA325-V2 server

What are you looking to do when you are away from home?

For example are you looking to stream content or upload & download files?

We have a number of guides available on this forum that can help you to set up the SR101: Sky Hub SR101

However there may be some issues with what you are expecting to do.

As for dynamic IP Address providers, the SR101 now supports:

• DynDNS.org
      • NoIP.com
      • dyns.cx

Whilst DynDNS is no longer free, the others are. For now don't create one that cost you money. Do that once you've got things working.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      What are you looking to do when you are away from home?

For example are you looking to stream content or upload & download files?

We have a number of guides available on this forum that can help you to set up the SR101: Sky Hub SR101

However there may be some issues with what you are expecting to do.

As for dynamic IP Address providers, the SR101 now supports:

• DynDNS.org
      • NoIP.com
      • dyns.cx

Whilst DynDNS is no longer free, the others are. For now don't create one that cost you money. Do that once you've got things working.
      I would like to access my files and download them whilst I am away. I followed the guide about porting forward and this did work after changing to a static IP address for the server. I then encountered the problem of the server halting whilst streaming and watching some media at home, about every 20 minutes. As soon as I changed the IP address back to dynamic for the server I found that I could not reconnect again using the dynamic server address, which I realised might happen anyway but it did resolve the streaming problem completely.

I do have DyDNS enabled on the server and on the hub and I also have an account with NoIP now but that does not connect at all. In fact other than the one successful try, which caused media streaming problems it will not reconnect again whether I change the server back to a static IP address for the server or not. A port test shows the selected port as open.

I am now pretty much at a loss to figure out what to do next. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated as despite countless hours of searching the web I have not found any posts on forums etc. that seem to be able to point me in the right direction.

Thank you.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Been using No-IP for years and yes it updates perfectly now you can add your No-IP id into the sky sr101/2 routers.
      Free signup here, but it will ask you every month via a quick email link if you still require it.
      https://www.noip.com/sign-up

The default port for that Nas is 80. So unless you have changed it, you just need port 80 open on your sky router.
      Just add it in the firewall section of the sky router menus allowing port 80 inbound/outbound with the nas ip address.
      Then point your remote device to your no-ip address (that you created and added to your sky riuter under Advanved>Dynamic DNS) and you will be fine.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Bear in mind that the rate you can download files remotely depends on your upload speed. With ADSL this will be a maximum of around 1.1mbps. This will be greatly reduce if there is anyone 'at home' using the internet in any way, even simple surfing requires some upload. If you are going to be accessing files remotely for a long period you would be well advised to switch to VDSL, which allows a far greater upload speed. Up to 18mbps with Pro. An alternate would be to place your files in the 'Cloud' where they can be accessed from anywhere.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

OK thanks I will give that a go and report back, although I seem to remember that when I checked other ports that was open. I assume I need to set up a new service for this?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Bear in mind that the rate you can download files remotely depends on your upload speed. With ADSL this will be a maximum of around 1.1mbps. This will be greatly reduce if there is anyone 'at home' using the internet in any way, even simple surfing requires some upload. If you are going to be accessing files remotely for a long period you would be well advised to switch to VDSL, which allows a far greater upload speed. Up to 18mbps with Pro. An alternate would be to place your files in the 'Cloud' where they can be accessed from anywhere.

I guessed it would be slow but at the moment I just want to get things working and then maybe look at alternatives.

Thanks for the help so far.

Thanks

Just tried to change the port setting to 80 and the Sky router has denied access stating that it is in use by the firewall. Are there any optional settings I can use?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Port 80 is the port used by HTTP, an alternate is 8080, you could try that.

A full list of ports is available here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...P_port_numbers

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.