Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

SR102 Technical questions, for router experts

This is a discussion on SR102 Technical questions, for router experts within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, I have some very specific technical questions, for router experts re the skyhub sr102. Notes: I am on ...

itsanewlifeforme is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: New House - No TV
      Router: New house - no broadband
      Sky TV: Nothing yet
      Thanks

Cool SR102 Technical questions, for router experts

Hi all,

I have some very specific technical questions, for router experts re the skyhub sr102.

Notes: I am on the normal internet package (I.e non fibre) 3.75 per month, with router connected to phone line via filter attachment.

1. Is the SR102 a hardware firewall router?

2. Is is a nat firewall?

3.VERY important: If the SR102 is indeed a hardware firewalled router:

a)Is the firewall active and running only over wireless?

What about any device (laptop) directly connected to the SR102 via an ethernet cable instead (Wired connection).

(The reason i'm asking, is that my mind is recalling fragments of a posting I read long ago, where it had been inadvertently discovered, that on a particular router, the built in firewall was only applicable to devices accessing it via wifi ONLY.

Upon a full inspection, it was discovered that the firewall was completely disabled/ineffective for any devices connected to it directly (via an ethernet cable). Everyone was surprised to hear this, if I remember correctly, as it was seen as an abysmal design fault, for a consumer grade router.)

What is the case for the SR102?

4. Are there any differences between the ports at the back on the SR102. Do some of the ports have more capabilities than the others (e.g accessing the router for maintainece of firmeware issues).

5. Lastly, the router arrived with a default access password, wifi password etc (as printed on the sticker) which remains in effect when a hard reset is performed. How can I permanently modify the factory stored passwords, so that even if I do a hard reset, i've replaced the factory default/printed ones permanently.

My genuine thanks to any that would be willing to contribute,

itsanewlifeforme

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: SR102 Technical questions, for router experts

1. Yes
      2. Yes
      3. The firewall is effective for both wired and wireless.
      4. All the ports have equal status.
      5. Personal settings do not survive a full reset. There would be no point in a factory reset if this were not the case. Most prudent users take a backup of their routers latest settings and keep them in a safe place so they can be restored if a reset is necessary.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

itsanewlifeforme (07-07-15)

itsanewlifeforme is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: New House - No TV
      Router: New house - no broadband
      Sky TV: Nothing yet
      Thanks

Thanks for your reply TomD.

Regarding point 5, I understand that personal passwords are lost upon a hard reset.

I would like to know if it is possible, to somehow change the factory (burned-in) password, that autorestores upon such a hard reset.

Also, does anyone know where I can find this information directly from sky. I did spend signifcant time searching for the answer to these questions on the sky website, but had to resort to posting my questions here because I could not find this basic info!

Once again, thanks to any and all that contribute,

itsanewlifeforme.
      Last edited by itsanewlifeforme; 07-07-15 at 02:44 PM. Reason: grammar

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Any change to the default behaviour after a reset, if this is even possible, would have to be made in the firmware. There is an older version of the firmware available on line, if you are able to recompile it. This is in the Recovery tool, available here - Sky Help: Download the Sky router recovery tool

You will get no information from Sky, all such is regarded as company secrets.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.