Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Router factory resetting and changing SSID/Password

This is a discussion on Router factory resetting and changing SSID/Password within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Does anyone else have this problem? Has happened a couple of times now, where the router seems to have completely ...

pmcgrath72 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Router factory resetting and changing SSID/Password

Does anyone else have this problem?

Has happened a couple of times now, where the router seems to have completely factory reset itself, so changes my ID back to SKY12345 (or whatever) and also the Wireless password, meaning that every device trying to use WiFi then can't until I change it back again to the ID that every device uses.

I can't see any reason why it would do this. The router is only a couple of years old, one of the Sagem ones I think.

Really annoying as I work abroad and have setup access to a remote NAS drive that then loses access as the port forwarding is wiped.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Router factory resetting and changing SSID/Password

It is something that has been reported here, but no one can really say what is happening. This should only happen, if at all, when the router's firmware is upgraded. I assume yours has not.

If you have a Sagem it is a few years old and should probably be replaced. I think you can get one of the newer Sky routers for about 30 at the moment, provided you are prepared to extend your contract. You can of course find plenty of instructions on the forum for using the ADSL router of your choice if you wish. Sky no longer ban this and allow you to use what you want on ADSL.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

pmcgrath72 (11-03-15)

Hedgehog1979 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01506
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HDw box X2
      Thanks

There is an offer for the hub at the moment where you can pay 29 for the hub and 6.95 delivery charge. There is no new contract period at least not in the technical department, I don't know if there is in other departments but I am sure it is a global offer that is open for everyone to give to all customers. I am also sure this offer has been extended to 27th of March.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog1979 For This Useful Post:

pmcgrath72 (11-03-15)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Just in case, I would also look to rule out interference from someone else.

• Change the 'admin' password to something unique and make a note of it
      • Ensure that no one has been pressing the 'Reset' button on the back of the router

It is possible for someone to hack the WiFi Even WPA2 can be hacked with enough computing power. If this is the case, then changing the password will delay the interference if you are usin the same details as before.

Chaning the admin password will also be a good idea for the same reasons. It would make it harder for someone to gain access to your router as the defaults for all the Sky routers are the same (i.e. Username = admin, Passoword = sky).

As for ressetng it, I trust that you don't have someone who is of an age where they just might want to start playing with the router? It is possible.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

wolfiebrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Sky no longer ban this and allow you to use what you want on ADSL.
      So I take it I can go to Argos now for example and purchase any router, any make and any model and it will allowed and usable to use now?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wolfiebrian View Post
      So I take it I can go to Argos now for example and purchase any router, any make and any model and it will allowed and usable to use now?
      Provided it is an ADSL router, ie, has a built in ADSL modem. A cable type router meant for use with a separate modem will not do. All you need is your ADSL username and password and a few other settings.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

wolfiebrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog1979 View Post
      There is an offer for the hub at the moment where you can pay 29 for the hub and 6.95 delivery charge. There is no new contract period at least not in the technical department, I don't know if there is in other departments but I am sure it is a global offer that is open for everyone to give to all customers. I am also sure this offer has been extended to 27th of March.
      I have just purchased the SKyhub SR102 but it has proved unreliable, my connection drops out at least once an hour with it, with my old Sagem which I have reverted back to the connection is far superior and more reliable.