Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

SR102....anything similar to BT parental controls?

This is a discussion on SR102....anything similar to BT parental controls? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Newbie here wondering if anyone can help. I do miss the easy parental controls that I had with BT . ...

RM955i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01327
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

SR102....anything similar to BT parental controls?

Newbie here wondering if anyone can help.

I do miss the easy parental controls that I had with BT. Simply put, I could select any wi-fi connected device from the menu and set when it was or wasn't allowed wi-fi access. This was perfect for 'killing' wi-fi to my daughter's various devices at given times.

Is anything similar available for the Sky router? I have been into the admin page via the IP address and there's nothing I can see (it's either all wi-fi on or off, no individual device control)

2. Advertisement
      James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: SR102....anything similar to BT parental controls?

The free Sky Broadband Shield service was updated the other week to now include a watershed feature allowing you to set up times during which services are available.

The SR102 does also have a scheduler allowing you to set the times you wish it to allow traffic and services via its firewall. Can't imagine it would be too difficult to set up a firewall rule for a particular internal IP addy to block access at specific times.

RM955i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01327
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks...I'm not sure it' quite what I'm looking for. I was hoping to find something that allows me to control individual devices rather than a blanket 'rule'. Eg To have the wifi working on, say, my iphone and the laptop but disable the iPad and iPod Touch at certain times.

I know that I could of course take the offending items away from my child at a certain time but she's a sneaky little bugger and seems to sneak them upstairs and I don't always remember to get them.

If that functionality is there i can't seem to find it or it's not particularly intuitive.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RM955i View Post
      Thanks...I'm not sure it' quite what I'm looking for. I was hoping to find something that allows me to control individual devices rather than a blanket 'rule'. Eg To have the wifi working on, say, my iphone and the laptop but disable the iPad and iPod Touch at certain times.

I know that I could of course take the offending items away from my child at a certain time but she's a sneaky little bugger and seems to sneak them upstairs and I don't always remember to get them.

If that functionality is there i can't seem to find it or it's not particularly intuitive.
      You need to assign fixed IP addresses to the devices you want to block.
      Then setup firewall rules for those IP addresses.
      Then use the scheduler to apply the times you want those rules to be used.

Also, not sure how sneaky your daughter is(?), but you should change the default username and password for accessing the router settings.